-
Need Help: HD Knoppix Install --> Debian Unstable Instal
Hello:
I need help in getting from a successful Knoppix hard drive install to a debian unstable install.
Here's what I am doing using using an IBM ThinkPad Model T23:
1) Boot knoppix 5.01 CD and as root issue the command knoppix installer
2) By-the-way, the 5.01 CD doesn't give parted or anything like what is in the documentation. It gives some curt process with very little explanation. Anyway I managed to get a nice, nifty istallation. The entry for eth0 wasn't in /etc/network/interfaces. After I put in the appropriate entry, everything worked ok.
3) I edited the /etc/apt/sources.list file
APT:
efault-Release "testing"; -------------> APT:
efault-Release "unstable";
4) I edited the /etc/apt/sources.list file by commenting out everything that was NOT UNSTABLE.
This was confusing because there was confusing because there are many, many entries in which I didn't know what to do ... e.g the KDE entries and others as well.
5) I tried the command: apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
This didn't work because some files couldn't be found, and other errors also occurred which I forget.
6) I tried only the command apt-get dist upgrade and that "worked" i.e. it did install a lot of packages that took a lot of time.
In the end, the desktop was corrupted.
Is there a good set of instructions on how to do this? There is always a problem at the point of trying to upgrade to debian unstable. What is a good way to do this?
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Angelo
Similar Threads
-
By Ish Rattan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-15-2007, 06:52 AM
-
By Hydralisk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 44
Last Post: 06-01-2005, 05:47 AM
-
By RemasteringNoob in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-27-2004, 02:26 AM
-
By awreneau in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 06:30 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-06-2003, 12:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72