Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I check my jump drive persistent image?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mentor-on-the-Lake USA
    Posts
    3

    How do I check my jump drive persistent image?

    I have been using a 512MB flash drive to hold a persistent home image while I'm using the Knoppix live CD. My question is how can I check to see how much room I have left inside the image "partition" I set the size of the Image to 256MB when I stored it there. Today I ran the "BB" toy and suddenly I was getting messages that my home image had no more room and had to be fixed. When I looked in Konqueror, there was some "raw.music" file that was 200MB big! I deleted that. Was that triggering the error messages?

    I have Firefox configured and Konqueror etc. I have installed Macromedia flash, and basically have a fantastic Knoppix desktop environment, but I would like to get a feel for when I need to be careful about space considerations.

    I wonder if there is any more info about the whole "image to flash drive" in any documentation. CAn't seem to find much. For example can I increase the space somehow? stuff like that.

    I have a Vers. 5.0.1 Live Cd that I downloaded.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    You can see free space for all mounted filesystems with "df" command (use in Konsole) or "KDiskFree" command from KMenu.

    In Knoppix 4.0.2 CD KDiskFree is at KMenu->System->More Applications->KDiskFree
    You can also press "Alt-F2", then write "KDiskFree" and press Enter.

    Those tools can show quite many devices and free space for them. Look for a device with "knoppix.img" in it.
    e.g. for me the device for persistant home is /mnt/hdb2/knoppix.img

    Example output from df:
    Code:
    knoppix@1[knoppix]$ df
    Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root                 2471        22      2449   1% /
    /dev/hdb2              5313432   4919712    393720  93% /cdrom2.loop
    /ramdisk                219712     11036    208676   6% /ramdisk
    /UNIONFS              14797436  11475880   3321556  78% /UNIONFS
    /cdrom2.loop/CD.iso     711124    711124         0 100% /cdrom/
    /dev/cloop             1941958   1941958         0 100% /KNOPPIX
    /UNIONFS/dev/hdb2      5313432   4919712    393720  93% /mnt/hdb2
    /mnt/hdb2/knoppix.img
                             99150     85037     14113  86% /KNOPPIX.IMG
    /UNIONFS/dev/mapper/LVM-data
                          12635768   9522888   3112880  76% /data
    So this tells that I have used 86% of the space available in persistant home.
    And I have 14113 kB space left.

    If you want to know what is taking all that space, "filelight" is good for that.
    Press Alt-F2, write "filelight" to command-box and press Enter.
    Then select Scan->"Scan Home Directory"
    (filelight is not in 4.0.2CD but is in 4.0.2DVD - It's probably also in 5.0.1DVD)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mentor-on-the-Lake USA
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Malaire! That was very helpful, I will try that command. That is exactly the information I was looking for. I have filelight on my 5.0.1 CD and I've been trying to understand it, but I just don't seem to follow the concept behind the diagrams. Anyhow, I've ordered the DVD version and hopefully there will be some help content on that. The CD doesn't really have any help files at all, that I've been able to find. I'm a complete kn00b with this stuff, but I am hoping the CD will help me understand enough to know which Linux I will want to install on the secondary HDD in my Windows XP box.

Similar Threads

  1. expanding UNIONFS with USB jump drive? ...
    By starlyptErin_. in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 02:00 AM
  2. Locked out from persistent image during test drive
    By tjashmore in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 06:05 PM
  3. Creating persistent disk image on USB drive
    By johnny-5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 05:59 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 04:15 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$14.86



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00