-
XP and Knoppix work independently on the same physical drive
Hi all,
I'm using Knoppix through VMware, hosted by Windows XP (like a CD which copied into the Hard Disk).
Knoppix seems to work fine, but I can't access my Windows logical Hard Drives. Although it may sounds like a frquent asked question to you, it isn't:
I had 11 GB hard disk in my laptop, all previously been NTFS one logical C drive dedicated to XP. I'd resized this partition to left 1GB for Knoppix, formatted it to FAT32, willing to use it as a SWAP memory (I have only 128MB RAM) and as a shared directory with Windows in order to transfer files between XP to Knoppix.
Althoug the first goal has been accomplished (Knoppix had created a swap file in my spare 1GB FAT32 partition), the second goal is frustrating me over three days (which I used to search this forum mostly..):
It seems that windows XP can delete and create partitions in the same 1GB withought affecting Knoppix file system in the same location - and Knoppix can create and destroy partitions over the same 1GB without affecting the XP filesystem there!
When I create a directory in Knoppix and in XP in the same 1GB location, they won't reflect in the other OS, and when I destroy partitions in one OS - it doesn't destroy anything in the other OS!
Can someone explain it to me please? all I want is Knoppix to see the same WinXP partitions in the 1GB, and it doesn't recognize them (/proc/partitions) but can create there partitions independently.
Best Regards,
- Yizhar.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: XP and Knoppix work independently on the same physical d

Originally Posted by
Yizhar
...Knoppix seems to work fine, but I can't access my Windows logical Hard Drives. ....
I think this is exactly what Vmware is designed to do. It provides a virtual machine, one that can not access the rest of the real machine that it is hosted on. If there is an solution to your "problem" it will likely have to come from a forum that supports Vmware, not one that focuses on Knoppix.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Re: XP and Knoppix work independently on the same physical d
Thanks for your quick reply, Harry, I'll try to fish there for a while..
- Yizhar.
Similar Threads
-
By Jbike in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-24-2005, 06:17 PM
-
By japijo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-26-2005, 09:37 PM
-
By Wil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-27-2003, 02:42 AM
-
By howagood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-14-2003, 02:24 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras
$124.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller
$35.00

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS
$224.99

Aureal Vortex 2 AU8830A2 BA88ST30A-01 PCI Sound Card Vintage Untested
$44.85

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00