-
Senior Member
registered user
Windows-XP like login system?
Hi, I've been trying out the liveCD version of knoppix. I am used an xp or nt style login - type in username and password, however with knoppix I can't seem to get a dialog box to show up at logon. I have been able to change root password and add users, I just don't know if it is possible to log on as these users now.
Thanks for your help!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Can you do it? Maybe, but why would you? A live CD isn't really suited or intended to have multiple users. And Knoppix isn't really suitable for installing to disk. Even the main author, Klaus, has said this of versions before 5.0.1 and, while he apparently is addressing some of the problems in 5.0.1, from the number of hard disk install reports about 5.0.1 that we have seen already, I feel that 5.0.1 isn't quite "there" yet. On the other hand, if you install Debian (or other versions of Linux) intended for hard disk install, the acounts are set up for you right during install with your choice of users and passwords, and root can add new users cleanly easily.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks for the response -
As for why, I was planning on having several accounts using the livecd for people in my family (mainly users of Windows XP) who are used to logging on and having personalized settings. we don't have the hard disk space to do a hard-drive install so this is why I'm using the LiveCd, and using a usb key to store the config files ( Knoppix menu ->configure -> save knoppix configuration).
Would doing this be way too much trouble than it's worth?
Thanks
-
Remaster it to add in the users, then point to the USB/diskette you use for storage to load config files.
Using a LiveCD as a main system is a good idea IMHO, and using the HDD as storage is something I may do when I get a laptop to save disk space, but outside of remastering the LiveCD, you'd have to manually go in, mount the USB stick (I think), then change the symlinks to point to the files on there, but I may be wrong.
Similar Threads
-
By garfield in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
-
By GCMartin in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-23-2005, 01:35 AM
-
By Mo281282 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-19-2005, 10:36 PM
-
By jzhai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-04-2004, 05:10 PM
-
By ted_munga in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 50
Last Post: 11-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST
$159.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98