Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Windows-XP like login system?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120

    Windows-XP like login system?

    Hi, I've been trying out the liveCD version of knoppix. I am used an xp or nt style login - type in username and password, however with knoppix I can't seem to get a dialog box to show up at logon. I have been able to change root password and add users, I just don't know if it is possible to log on as these users now.

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Can you do it? Maybe, but why would you? A live CD isn't really suited or intended to have multiple users. And Knoppix isn't really suitable for installing to disk. Even the main author, Klaus, has said this of versions before 5.0.1 and, while he apparently is addressing some of the problems in 5.0.1, from the number of hard disk install reports about 5.0.1 that we have seen already, I feel that 5.0.1 isn't quite "there" yet. On the other hand, if you install Debian (or other versions of Linux) intended for hard disk install, the acounts are set up for you right during install with your choice of users and passwords, and root can add new users cleanly easily.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    Thanks for the response -
    As for why, I was planning on having several accounts using the livecd for people in my family (mainly users of Windows XP) who are used to logging on and having personalized settings. we don't have the hard disk space to do a hard-drive install so this is why I'm using the LiveCd, and using a usb key to store the config files ( Knoppix menu ->configure -> save knoppix configuration).

    Would doing this be way too much trouble than it's worth?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    8
    Remaster it to add in the users, then point to the USB/diskette you use for storage to load config files.

    Using a LiveCD as a main system is a good idea IMHO, and using the HDD as storage is something I may do when I get a laptop to save disk space, but outside of remastering the LiveCD, you'd have to manually go in, mount the USB stick (I think), then change the symlinks to point to the files on there, but I may be wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. Windows XP Encrypted Files -- Login ID Crashed -- Help!
    By garfield in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 01:35 AM
  3. Network Windows 2000 login
    By Mo281282 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 10:36 PM
  4. Can anyone help out howto start login screen once system up?
    By jzhai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 05:10 PM
  5. add new users that can login via X-windows
    By ted_munga in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 09:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99