Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HELP! trying to install knoppix 5.0.1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1

    HELP! trying to install knoppix 5.0.1

    i am trying to install knoppix on an old laptop and when i type knoppix-installer in the root the installer comes up and it says that a requirement has nto been met, that i do not haev 2gb of space so i go into cfdisk and i deleted my old windows partition and so now i have all empty space and i tried again and it still is telling me there is no room what do i do??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Installation of Knoppix to ANYTHING, Especially a laptop is usually troublesome and beyond the abilities of an inexperienced user. There are many issues that will most likely develop and each one needs to be resolved. That will require a lot of time and posting to get questionable results in the end. I would recommend a Debian install, or even some other distro that was INTENDED for a hdd install. I have SUSE installed on one laptop and it works fine. It has been claimed that version 5.0.1 is more suitable for an install, but I have seen a lot of evidence to the contrary.

    It sounds like you have not partitioned your drive properly to begin with.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13
    I installed 5.0.1 to my desktop and have had zero problems. All I had to do is read knoppix for dummies and it was easy. I was a dummie when it came to linux but after I read the book its installed and working great. I would not see why you coldn't have the same luck with a laptop.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    podo:

    All you need to do is look at the forum section on HDD installs to see the misery and difficulties that many people go through trying to install Knoppix to the Hard Drive. Compound that with the hardware of a Laptop and it now becomes a crapshoot. It is difficult enough just to get a laptop to boot the live disk at times. It is much simpler to install a distro that was actually intended for a HDD install and not try to install something that was intended for other purposes. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying that it is sometimes more difficult and the user will sometimes encounter numerous issues that would need resolution.

    I have successfully installed Knoppix, but it is purely an experiment. I would simply rather have something intended for installation in the first place. It's like someone pounding on a screwdriver with a hammer to cut out a recess in some wood. A chisel or router would be a much better tool that was designed for the job. The screwdriver will probably work, but it will not be as easy and the finished product may not be a polished.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    podo:

    All you need to do is look at the forum section on HDD installs to see the misery and difficulties that many people go through trying to install Knoppix to the Hard Drive. Compound that with the hardware of a Laptop and it now becomes a crapshoot. It is difficult enough just to get a laptop to boot the live disk at times. It is much simpler to install a distro that was actually intended for a HDD install and not try to install something that was intended for other purposes. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying that it is sometimes more difficult and the user will sometimes encounter numerous issues that would need resolution.

    I have successfully installed Knoppix, but it is purely an experiment. I would simply rather have something intended for installation in the first place. It's like someone pounding on a screwdriver with a hammer to cut out a recess in some wood. A chisel or router would be a much better tool that was designed for the job. The screwdriver will probably work, but it will not be as easy and the finished product may not be a polished.
    Sorry I didn't know that a laptop would be so different. I would try to use a cheap desktop first then if your skilled enough then try a laptop.I have never owned a windows laptop just apple so I don't know much about installing to them.

    I have noticed that the posts in the hdd install forum go unread. I still want to know how to change the screen resolution ,my text is to small.I'm glad thats my only problem.I guess I just had a lucky break.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by podo
    I have noticed that the posts in the hdd install forum go unread
    Many go unanswered, but I'm sure someone read them. I usually don't feel the need to help someone who has done something that is not recommended, or that there might be a better solution for. If there are any issues with a HDD install, my feeling is that they are self inflicted and I'm not going far out of my way to help someone resolve them. Installing to the HDD and expecting it to work the same as it did as a live disk is foolish.

    Quote Originally Posted by podo
    I still want to know how to change the screen resolution ,my text is to small.I'm glad thats my only problem
    Your installation DOES have an issue, if the resolution is better when running the live disk.

    Quote Originally Posted by podo
    Sorry I didn't know that a laptop would be so different
    Laptops just have some different hardware than a desktop and it appears that there might be a little less standardization too. There are many cooling and power schemes, that it is difficult to even ensure that it will not overheat. It's sometimes difficult to get the live disk running well, then add to that a HDD install leaving more issues. I would rather use something intended for installation in the first place. I have a laptop drive loaded with Suse 10.1 and it runs fine on the machine it's in. Knoppix has numerous issues with that machine and version 5.0.1 won't even boot properly using every cheatcode I can find. So each distro and each version is a world unto itself. 5.0.1 installed and runs fine on an old desktop I had lying around, with just a few tweaks. It seems better at installs than previous versions, but i don't think it's quite ready for prime time. As a live disk it's excellent, except on my laptop. I have a feeling about what it is, but I will have to wait for an update to see if I can resolve it. It probably has something to do with Xorg in place of Xfree86. I found some reference about Xorg bugs and it may address the hardware in that laptop.

    In any event, the HDD install usually leaves a bunch of issues that need to be resolved. That is usually beyond the beginner's capabilities without some expert help, if they can even BE resolved.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13
    What is the best linux system to install?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by podo
    What is the best linux system to install?
    It depends on your level of expertise and what you want and need to do with the system. Knoppix is based on Debian and if you like the look and feel of Knoppix, Debian is a very choice http://www.debian.org/. Ubuntu and it's siblings are also well received. Fedora Core, Kanotix, Suse, Mandriva, etc...The list goes on. I would suggest some research. You can go to: http://distrowatch.com/ or http://www.linux.org/ for starters. There are so many Linux sites, and many that have decent reviews. I would be very careful about what you read on the net. Many posters in these forums really don't have good advice. Many of them do, but there are some that can steer you wrong. If you encounter unresolved issues with one distro, there is always the chance that another one will work well for you.

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  2. Upgrade Knoppix 3.6 HDD install to Knoppix 3.7 HDD install
    By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
  3. Knoppix install read error around 80%, install another way?
    By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
  4. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  5. saving home from hd-install, so i can install new knoppix
    By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III 3D NAND SSD MZ-76E2T0 94-100% Health

$207.00



For Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 / S9 11-14.6in Tempered Glass Screen Protector picture

For Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 / S9 11-14.6in Tempered Glass Screen Protector

$21.17



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00