Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cannot Boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1

    Cannot Boot

    Hello all,
    I'm trying to boot the latest CD version (5.0.1) on my T43 Thinkpad. I'm not extremely experienced with Linux-- I was hoping to use Knoppix so that I could gain more experience without having to dual-boot. When trying to boot, I get a couple screens of buffer errors and then finally:

    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,3)

    What should I do? I did some searching but couldn't find any working solutions.

    Thanks,
    Kurt

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    The answer may come in the form of a cheatcode. I wouild start with something like "knoppix nodma", "knoppix dma", failsafe, noacpi, etc. Look through the "Documentation" link at the top of the page and scroll down for "cheat codes". Read through it and you may fine the answer there. The other issue may be in the way the ISO file was downloaded and burned to CD. Read through the Downloading FAQ's here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1

    My apologies for reviving an old thread...

    ... just thought this might help someone.

    I tried the CD version of 5.0.1 in order to upgrade a harddrive and 'dd' the contents from one drive to the next. When I tried to boot into Knoppix though, I encountered the same error that dirtk38 posted. I tried most of the cheatcodes, but could only get a *very* stripped setup to run. I finally got it running by downgrading to 4.0.2 which turned out to work fully on my machine. Who knows, maybe it was a corrupt 5.0.1 ISO?

    Here are the specs for the machine that had a hard time with 5.0.1:
    AMD Athlon 2700+
    ASUS A7V333-X MOBO
    512MB RAM
    Two harddrives: 80GB and 20GB
    GeForce FX5200 128MB
    Two NICs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G) picture

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)

$32.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99