Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cannot Boot

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1

    Cannot Boot

    Hello all,
    I'm trying to boot the latest CD version (5.0.1) on my T43 Thinkpad. I'm not extremely experienced with Linux-- I was hoping to use Knoppix so that I could gain more experience without having to dual-boot. When trying to boot, I get a couple screens of buffer errors and then finally:

    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,3)

    What should I do? I did some searching but couldn't find any working solutions.

    Thanks,
    Kurt

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    The answer may come in the form of a cheatcode. I wouild start with something like "knoppix nodma", "knoppix dma", failsafe, noacpi, etc. Look through the "Documentation" link at the top of the page and scroll down for "cheat codes". Read through it and you may fine the answer there. The other issue may be in the way the ISO file was downloaded and burned to CD. Read through the Downloading FAQ's here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1

    My apologies for reviving an old thread...

    ... just thought this might help someone.

    I tried the CD version of 5.0.1 in order to upgrade a harddrive and 'dd' the contents from one drive to the next. When I tried to boot into Knoppix though, I encountered the same error that dirtk38 posted. I tried most of the cheatcodes, but could only get a *very* stripped setup to run. I finally got it running by downgrading to 4.0.2 which turned out to work fully on my machine. Who knows, maybe it was a corrupt 5.0.1 ISO?

    Here are the specs for the machine that had a hard time with 5.0.1:
    AMD Athlon 2700+
    ASUS A7V333-X MOBO
    512MB RAM
    Two harddrives: 80GB and 20GB
    GeForce FX5200 128MB
    Two NICs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$89.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91