-
-
Senior Member
registered user
Here's how i did it with v5:
get a root shell: k-->knoppix root shell
type: apt-get update
type: apt-get install f-prot-installer
when it finishes go back to the desktop , right click on the drive you want to scan, click mount
go back to the root shell and type: f-prot /mnt/hdxx , replacing xx with the drive you just mounted.
Running f-prot without any options will scan and report, but not repair. If you are thinking of trying to repair viruses on a windows xp drive using the scanner, you should be aware that writing to NTFS from linux is not considered safe.
Also from a shell type: man f-prot, for more information. I would also suggest opening a browser, going to google.com and searching the web using search terms such as : "knoppix virus scan", or "live cd virus scan".
Good luck
-
A virus aimed at Windows is not a Linux virus. Is anyone positive "F-Prot for Linux" bothers to check for viruses aimed at Windows? Can you point me to an F-Prot url that says so? I wasn't able to find anything that explicitly said this on their site.
(And yes, I know this is Hack 78.)
-
Yes, it checks for Windoze viri
I've used the CD that comes with Knoppix Hacks on a number of occasions and also followed the above instructions on 5.0.1 (DVD). It WILL check for W32 viri, I'm positive.
'Goon
-
Senior Member
registered user
While I'm reasonable sure that F-prot will work to detect and repair windows virus on windows partitions from knoppix, I can't find anything on the f-prot website to confirm it. The virus definition files seem to be the same for window or linux etc.
I know that it claims to find suspicious files on windows partitions but that does not mean the company endorses it per se.
Perhaps you could inquire here: http://www.f-prot.com/support/contact_support.html.
Let us know if they respond.
Regards.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I use Clamav/Klamav - it found a .jpg virus inside a an Outlook Express .dbx mailbox file from Linux; my Windows virus scanner didn't pick it up.
drb
-
Here's their response:
F-Prot for Linux uses the same virus definition files as our windows variant, so the Linux command line scanner detects all the currently detected windows threats as well as Linux aimed viruses.
Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you require further information.
Best regards,
[name delete]
F-Prot Antivirus Technical Support
-
So I tried apt-get install f-prot-installer and it isn't working. Is there any repositories that I can add that will get this working or anything to get F-Prot installed?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Similar Threads
-
By mid1700s in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-09-2007, 04:32 PM
-
By Synthpopalooza in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-22-2005, 01:10 PM
-
By lothario in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-06-2005, 08:25 PM
-
By eentonig in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 10:57 AM
-
By cascadefx in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-01-2003, 09:13 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00

Dell Optiplex 5080 Intel Core i5 10th Gen 8GB RAM No Drive/OS USFF Desktop
$125.75

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)
$125.96

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99

Dell OptiPlex 3050 (256 GB SSD, Intel Core i5 7th gen, 8 GB RAM) Working
$49.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$189.99

Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS
$199.99