Does anyone know how to run a virus scan or adware/spyware scan of your HD using the liveCD i cannot figure out how!!!!!!!![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Does anyone know how to run a virus scan or adware/spyware scan of your HD using the liveCD i cannot figure out how!!!!!!!![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Here's how i did it with v5:
get a root shell: k-->knoppix root shell
type: apt-get update
type: apt-get install f-prot-installer
when it finishes go back to the desktop , right click on the drive you want to scan, click mount
go back to the root shell and type: f-prot /mnt/hdxx , replacing xx with the drive you just mounted.
Running f-prot without any options will scan and report, but not repair. If you are thinking of trying to repair viruses on a windows xp drive using the scanner, you should be aware that writing to NTFS from linux is not considered safe.
Also from a shell type: man f-prot, for more information. I would also suggest opening a browser, going to google.com and searching the web using search terms such as : "knoppix virus scan", or "live cd virus scan".
Good luck
A virus aimed at Windows is not a Linux virus. Is anyone positive "F-Prot for Linux" bothers to check for viruses aimed at Windows? Can you point me to an F-Prot url that says so? I wasn't able to find anything that explicitly said this on their site.
(And yes, I know this is Hack 78.)
I've used the CD that comes with Knoppix Hacks on a number of occasions and also followed the above instructions on 5.0.1 (DVD). It WILL check for W32 viri, I'm positive.
'Goon
While I'm reasonable sure that F-prot will work to detect and repair windows virus on windows partitions from knoppix, I can't find anything on the f-prot website to confirm it. The virus definition files seem to be the same for window or linux etc.
I know that it claims to find suspicious files on windows partitions but that does not mean the company endorses it per se.
Perhaps you could inquire here: http://www.f-prot.com/support/contact_support.html.
Let us know if they respond.
Regards.
I use Clamav/Klamav - it found a .jpg virus inside a an Outlook Express .dbx mailbox file from Linux; my Windows virus scanner didn't pick it up.
drb
Here's their response:
F-Prot for Linux uses the same virus definition files as our windows variant, so the Linux command line scanner detects all the currently detected windows threats as well as Linux aimed viruses.
Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you require further information.
Best regards,
[name delete]
F-Prot Antivirus Technical Support
So I tried apt-get install f-prot-installer and it isn't working. Is there any repositories that I can add that will get this working or anything to get F-Prot installed?
This thread is more up to date: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...665&highlight=

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM
$65000.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3200MT/s (PC4-25600) 288-Pin Desktop Memory Kit
$134.99
288GB 18x Mixed Brand 16GB Mixed Speed RAM TESTED
$900.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
SAMSUNG 128GB (4x32GB) M393A4K40BB1-CRC4Q RAM DDR4-2400T RDIMM ECC Memory
$666.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00