Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: recognizing a fat32 partition

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25

    recognizing a fat32 partition

    I'm new to knoppix. I've overcome various obstacles to get basic functions (net access, saving
    and using boot configurations, etc.) But I've been stymied with respect to transfering largish
    files to Windows (which, perhaps unfortunately, is necessary). I've tried various things (networking with a Windows system, writing to a zip drive, writing to a fat32 partition, etc.) but the only thing
    that works is writing to a floppy.

    I would like to focus on being able to write to a fat 32 partition.

    When I boot without stored configuration Knoppix sees the partition (and the zip drive for that
    matter) but when I boot using myconfig=scan it doesn't seem to see either the fat32 partition
    or the zip drive. It does see other Windows partitions. I can write to the floppy.

    Your assistance would be appreciated.

    Django

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: recognizing a fat32 partition

    Quote Originally Posted by django
    When I boot without stored configuration Knoppix sees the partition (and the zip drive for that
    matter) but when I boot using myconfig=scan it doesn't seem to see either the fat32 partition
    or the zip drive.
    Sounds like something may be wrong with the myconfig file. Are we to understand that you have been able to write to the fat32 partition just fine when not using the myconfig=scan option? What version of Knoppix is this that you are talking about? I have to admit that I've never gotten the myconfig options to work right, but I write to a fat32 partition frequently with Knoppix.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    I wasn't sure if I'd actually written a file (as opposed to seeing the drive folder on the desktop)
    so I rebooted, did a quick test, and yes, I can write to and read from the fat32 partition if
    I boot without using the myconfig=scan option.

    As to Knoppix version, I'm using 4.02.

    Django

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    A few developments:

    I was able to find hda7 and sda4 (the fat32 partition and the zip drive) in Konqueror
    under mnt. But when I checked the permissions the values were greyed out and
    when I checked the locations the existing files did not show up. The various menus
    don't show a make writeable or a mount/dismount option.

    Of course these all show up when I don't use myconfig=scan.

    I am quite perplexed and would appreciate any suggestions, particularly since
    secure download and transfer to a non-internet connected machine (which sometimes
    runs Knoppix and sometimes runs Windows) is one of my main goals for Knoppix.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Django

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by django
    A few developments:

    I was able to find hda7 and sda4...
    Once you can find them, advice for permissions is in answer #6.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Thank you for the reference if it had been a plain vanilla
    permissions problem that would have solved it.

    However, I'm familiar with how to handle such things and
    in this case there is no mount/unmount option in the menus
    and the permission setting boxes and dropdowns are greyed out
    and unusable.

    Do you have any other ideas for me?

    Thanks in advance.

    Django

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Nope. You said that you were new to Knoppix and many who are do not know about the default to read-only mode. But your problem does sound different from any I've seen reported.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Well, thanks for your time. If you get any more thoughts let me know.

    Perhaps someone with a floppy and a usb zip drive could try replicating
    the problem to see if it is a bug, a feature, or a config setting and how common
    it is? (save a configuration to a linux formatted floppy, boot specifying the
    floppy--floppyconfig if I recall correctly but do check if you don't know -- with
    the zip drive plugged in, and see if the zip drive icon is on the desktop
    or otherwise accessible.)

    I continue to experiment.

    I've poked around a bit and noticed that all the usable devices/partitions
    are in both the /mnt and /media directories while the unusable ones
    are only in the /mnt directory. Does this tell us anything useful?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Django

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Just to be clear, the /mnt stuff that wasn't useable had missing mount
    options on the menus and greyed out boxes and dropdown lists. And
    the acid test for the replication experiment is the ability to read and
    write files to the zip drive.

    Thanks again.

    Django

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    As I mention in another message I have since my last post solved the problem.

    It appears that the fstab file Knoppix creates when saving its
    configuration fixes the storage to be recognized when booting.
    So since I apparently had no disk in the zip drive when I created
    the config file and had created the fat32 partition after the config
    file Knoppix didn't make them accessible when booting with
    the myconfig=scan option.

    My perhaps awkward solution was to boot without options,
    redo all my config choices, and then save the new configuration.
    (Attempting to mount the partitions as root had not succeeded.)

    So that's working fine now.

    Regards,

    Django

Similar Threads

  1. Can't see data on Windows FAT32 partition
    By alex2004 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 11:20 PM
  2. FAT32 partition dissapeared??
    By country.hacker in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:23 PM
  3. lilo - hidden fat32 partition
    By Rivendell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 08:55 AM
  4. How do I add fat32 partition after Linux install?
    By bilzer in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 05:43 AM
  5. How to write files onto FAT32 partition?
    By margaritaville in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39



MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY picture

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY

$229.00



Lot 3x 16GB Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G6E1QI / CT16G4RFD4266 ECC Server memory picture

Lot 3x 16GB Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G6E1QI / CT16G4RFD4266 ECC Server memory

$160.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99