You need to play with linuxrc, inside minirt.gz.
I want to change the text displayed during boot to green. Everything after the boot loader, and prior to x.
I havent found any info on it, but it was done on knoppix I recall.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
i am running Debian Etch 2.6.15
You need to play with linuxrc, inside minirt.gz.
thanks, anything more specific?
![]()
search this forum for linuxrc and then google search for bash shell and colors.Originally Posted by hyperlife
I did that and found next to nothing. After playing around with it for an hour or two I discovered it's pretty easy. I'm sure UnderScore and other could have answered this off the top of thier heads - I'm not sure why they don't. Anyway here it is, so we can check it off the list as something that's now well documented:Originally Posted by UnderScore
1) find minirt.gz (or minirt24.gz, etc depending on your version) in your boot directory
2) Bash commands:
gunzip minirt.gz (or minirt24.gz, etc) # extract the contents, it will extract as a single file
mkdir temp # create a temporary directory as a mount point for the file
mount -o loop minirt temp # mount the extracted contents into the 'temp' directory
vi temp/linuxrc # edit the bash script containing the boot sequence
3) while editing linuxrc (last step above) you should be able to easily locate the part you want to change. Save your changes.
4) umount temp
5) gzip -9 minirt (or minirt24, etc. - whatever the filename is)
6) You're done. If you were smart you did this to a copy of the original. Rename the original something else as a backup.
Frankly I've extracted the 'linuxrc' from my 3.8.2 install and it looks like something poor:
Maybe a useful file to hack is '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig'.Code:#!/bin/sh # # $Id: linuxrc,v 1.11 2004/04/26 12:04:46 herbert Exp $ export PATH=/sbin:/bin mount -nt proc proc proc root=$(cat proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev) echo 256 > proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev mount -nt tmpfs tmpfs bin || mount -nt ramfs ramfs bin echo $root > bin/root
In it there is stuff like the colored kernel version prompt at boot:
Code:KERNEL="$(uname -r)" echo "${GREEN}Running Linux Kernel ${YELLOW}$KERNEL${GREEN}.${NORMAL}"

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed
$136.87
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99
Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
USED Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 BAREBONES Server NO RAM HDD or CPU, 2x 750w PSU 🚚
$170.00
DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95
Windows Server 2025 Standard Edition - 24 Core License
$238.00