Hi,

I have installed Knoppix 5.0 on my machine. I was just trying to play a music CD and I realized that I couldn't.

In fact clicking on the icon on the desktop I get this error:

Could not mount device.

The reported error was:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom

missing codepage or other error

In some cases useful info is found is syslog - try dmesg | tail or so
So that's what I've done:

Code:
root@scatoletta:~# dmesg | tail
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x51 { IllegalLengthIndication LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x51 { IllegalLengthIndication LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
I can see some errors, but I don't quite understand them.

I have also tried to mount it by command line, and obviously I get this:

Code:
root@scatoletta:~# mount /media/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       missing codepage or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
This is my /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /media/cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /media/dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /media/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda3 /media/hda3 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
I have got only a DVD drive, but both /media/cdrom and /media/dvd give the same output, whereas /media/cdrom1 does not exist (mount: special device /dev/cdrom1 does not exist).

Could somebody please help me?

Thank you for your time.