-
Can't connect with Knoppix
I am connected in the internet cafe with windoze on this laptop
Not sure what I need to do to get knoppix connected. Here are my windoze IP numbers:
IP Address 198.168.0.177
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1
What numbers do I need to put into netcardconfig to make it go?
Thanks
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
You are not telling us enough. Are you trying to connect wired or wireless? Does Knoppix even recognize your NIC? If connecting wired and Knoppix does see the NIC then you should normally get set up automatically by DHCP. What version of Knoppix is this for that matter, and you are running from a disc and have not done something foolish like try to "install" it to hard disk, right?
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
mii-tool shows the nic is working.
Sorry it is eth0.
I forgot to mention that sometimes I can get it to ping the gateway.
It is from the LiveCD
-
Plus thanks for the incredibly quick reply
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I'm at a loss to know why Knoppix isn't setting you up by DHCP when it is booted, as this is the way it really should work, particularly when using some one else's router at an Internet cafe. The simple answer is that you would input the same numbers that you gave us by running netcardconfig and answering the DHCP question in the negative if answering it in the positive does not work. But, and this is important, the IP address that you listed very likely will not be the same IP address that you would get the next time that you go there. Assuming that this is a wired NIC and answering in the affarmative to the DHCP question does not work then you might try booting windows first and seeing what IP address you get at that moment and then trying to assign the same IP address to Knoppix. Another approach is that the router is likely handing out a subset of the 254 addresses that it has available and you might be able to determine a valid IP address outside of the common pool that is normally given out. If you can find the network guy who set up the router and told him that you were having DHCP problems he could likely help you with this, but it is more likely that you would get vacant stares from most of the cafe workers if you asked about DHSP and the IP range. The important thing here is not to assign an IP address that is already in use by another computer on the network at that point, which would cause problems for both you and the other user.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Thanks again for these quick replies.
This Internet Cafe is in Khartoum Sudan. I used to connect using this laptop with Breezy Badger Ubuntu. It definitely uses static ip's.
I foolishly tried to dist-upgrade to Dapper Drake and it buggered everything up. But at least I can get my music on a separate partition using knoppix.
I am surprised this is proving so difficult.
Actually these local guys are pretty good. It is a pity though that the BSD guy is away at the moment. Or I would be on already.
I am going to try again in knoppix
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
FelixDzerzhinsky
It definitely uses static ip's.
I don't know what you mean by this. Are you trying to tell us that they have DHCP turned off and they assign each user an IP address that is theirs to use whenever they come back? That would seem very strange, and would limit the number of users they can support, but it would explain why Knoppix does not set you up automatically when you boot. If that is the case and you have been given a static IP that you are to put into the network setup, then use netcardconfig and try that. But if you didn't have to put these numbers into Windows manually then I don't see why you would have to on Knoppix. If you have any other questions about the questions that netcardconfig asks, just let us know.
-
Thanks again. And yes only a limited number of users with laptops. Most people use the desktops.
Going through Netcardconfig I get these questions. There are only some I can be sure of the answers:
1. Use DHCP> No
2.IP. 198.168.0.177 (Same as Windows.)
3Network Mask 255.255.255.0
4Broadcast (Not sure what this number should be. How can I find it in Windows?)
5Default Gateway. 192.168.0.1 (Same as Windows)
6.DNS 192.168.0.1 (Same as windows.)
I think the Broadcast address is the one giving me the problem.
Any ideas?
-
Thanks for your help. But wierdness of wierdness I got on using these numbers. Totally different from my windows numbers:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:9F:57:2C:74
inet addr:10.0.0.150 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::2c0:9fff:fe57:2c74/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:17799 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:9770 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:25263579 (24.0 MiB) TX bytes:822295 (803.0 KiB)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6000
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:800 (800.0 b) TX bytes:800 (800.0 b)
root@ren0:~# ping www.knoppix.net
PING www.knoppix.net (72.36.188.40): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 72.36.188.40: icmp_seq=0 ttl=45 time=256.2 ms
64 bytes from 72.36.188.40: icmp_seq=1 ttl=45 time=256.3 ms
64 bytes from 72.36.188.40: icmp_seq=2 ttl=45 time=254.0 ms
--- www.knoppix.net ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 254.0/255.5/256.3 ms
But the main thing is that I can put Windows to sleep again
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
FelixDzerzhinsky
4Broadcast (Not sure what this number should be. How can I find it in Windows?)
The broadcast address is always determined by the IP annderss and the mask. It is the highest address in the set of IP addresses as determined by the mask. So for an IP address if 192.168.0.xxx, the Broadcast address would be 192.168.0.255. It would be different, of course if the mask were different (or if the IP address were in a different range).

Originally Posted by
FelixDzerzhinsky
Thanks for your help. But wierdness of wierdness I got on using these numbers. Totally different from my windows numbers:....
Well, now you are posting information about a router that uses 10.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses. Both 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses and 10.xxx,xxx,xxx addresses are prefectly valid private NAT addresses intended to be used by routers that translate these addresses into a public address that is used to access the Internet, but I have never seen a case where a router supported both 192.168 addresses and 10 addresses. And while such a router could be built, the only good use for it that I could see would be to intentionally keep the Internet cafe visiting users segregrated from the computers owned by the Internet cafe that they do not wish to have on the public network (after all, that could expose their own computers to hacking). So I have to wonder just how you came up with using this 10 address? And are other users using Internet Cafe computers still on the 192.168 network or are they on the 10 network too?
It might be that the Cafe just changed around their system and all users are on 10 addresses now. But it might be that they want users on 192.168 addresses and they are using 10 addresses fo their own private network, in which case they might take a dim view of you also being on the 10 network when they find that out. It may or may not be a big deal where you are, but where I am our Homeland Security secret police would lable you a terrorist, arrest you, deny you a lawyer or a trial, and ship you off to a secret prison in a foregin country for using a wrong IP address. They of course have to do this because of the terrorists who hate America because of all of our freedoms. But my point is, be careful.
Similar Threads
-
By asdvj in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-23-2009, 12:23 AM
-
By pennywhistle in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-27-2007, 01:56 PM
-
By davidxcohen in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-25-2006, 07:55 AM
-
By Marker in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 03:49 AM
-
By RyNe in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99