-
IBM X31 getting hot with ibm_acpi, Knoppix 5.0.1
I recently booted Knoppix 5.0.1 off CD... several things work better (like suspend) by default that didn't work out of the box with 4.0.2... wahoo!
My Win XP partition developed a fatal surface defect after the cat knocked my laptop off the couch... thus I'm running Knoppix for much longer times this week. One thing I noticed is that my IBM X31 was getting _very_ hot after a couple of hours... the fan didn't appear to be running at all.
I did an 'lsmod' and found that ibm_acpi was indeed loaded under v5.0.1, but for some reason my X31 was still getting toasty. I also found a bash shell hack on thinkwiki.org:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ACPI_fan_control_script
After 'rmmod ibm_acpi' and 'modprobe ibm_acpi experimental=1' the bash script on this page at least got the fan running...
My question... is there something I can do to make this work without having to hack v5.0.1 with 'modprobe ibm_acpi experimental=1', or is this a bug?
Thoughts?
--- lspci -v ---
mpenning@1[~]$ sudo lspci -v
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0529
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Capabilities: [e4] #09 [4104]
Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 96
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
I/O behind bridge: 00003000-00003fff
Memory behind bridge: c0100000-c01fffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e0000000-e7ffffff
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 052d
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at 1800 [size=32]
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 052d
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at 1820 [size=32]
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 052d
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at 1840 [size=32]
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 052e
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [58] #0a [2080]
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 81) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=08, sec-latency=64
I/O behind bridge: 00004000-00008fff
Memory behind bridge: c0200000-cfffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e8000000-efffffff
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 052d
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at 1860 [size=16]
Memory at 88000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 052d
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
I/O ports at 1880 [size=32]
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0534
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]
Memory at c0000c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Memory at c0000800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0524
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at 2400 [size=256]
I/O ports at 2000 [size=128]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M6 LY (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 052f
Flags: bus master, stepping, fast Back2Back, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 66, IRQ 11
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
Memory at c0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Expansion ROM at c0120000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
0000:02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev aa)
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0532
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 11
Memory at b0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Bus: primary=02, secondary=03, subordinate=06, sec-latency=176
Memory window 0: e8000000-e9fff000 (prefetchable)
Memory window 1: c2000000-c3fff000
I/O window 0: 00004000-000040ff
I/O window 1: 00004400-000044ff
16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
0000:02:00.1 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev aa)
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0532
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 11
Memory at b1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Bus: primary=02, secondary=07, subordinate=07, sec-latency=176
Memory window 0: ea000000-ebfff000 (prefetchable)
Memory window 1: c4000000-c5fff000
I/O window 0: 00004800-000048ff
I/O window 1: 00004c00-00004cff
16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
0000:02:00.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0533
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
Memory at c0201000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
0000:02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller (rev 81)
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0522
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 66, IRQ 11
Memory at c0200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
I/O ports at 8000 [size=64]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
---
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

VINTAGE 1990 Hayes LANstep Network Computer Operating System v1.00 SEALED NEW
$888.00

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

Vintage 1993 & 1994 Microsoft Home DINOSAURS PC Mac Game Software CD-Rom NEW
$299.99

Vintage 1991 Applied Engineering AE Sonic Blaster Apple IIGS Sound Card SEALED
$699.99

Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare
$199.99

SEALED Iomega PCMCIA to Fast SCSI II Adapter Jaz Card & Cable | VINTAGE NEW
$169.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$139.98