Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: New to Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4

    New to Knoppix

    Hi, I was directed here by a friend. Recently my start up has failed and it has the following error message:

    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrpt
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

    I've tried using the various repair methods suggested to me from various sources and websites, but I've been unsuccessful. I'm desperate and need to recover at the very least documents for work and ALL my MP3s, all of which are in the My Documents folder of my profile.

    I've created a Knoppix CD version 5 that has successfully loaded, but as I am unfamilar with it's layout, could someone direct me as to how I may retrieve my files from Windows for backup, so that I can erase my HD and start over with a new install? I have many blank CDs as well as a 250GB external drive that connects via USB 2.0 Please any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    See answer #5.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4
    It seems that Knoppix isn't detecting my HD, only my external HD. It's listing the external drive as Hard Drive 1. I'm using a pair of Western Digital Raptors 150GB each in a Raid 0 configuration. How do I detect my HD so that I may click and drag what I need to my external drive?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Good question, I don't have an answer. I never saw good results in the past with raid systems which need special drivers. But this version of Knoppix supposedly includes Raid drivers. I don't have any details on that though and it looks like it either doesn't have the raid drivers that you need or isn't detecting the raid system. Maybe there is some way at boot time you can tell it about the raid system, but maybe you are out of luck.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4
    Anyone, kinda my last chance cry for help before I bite the bullet and erase everything...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110

    Surf the web

    I would suggest you surf the web for articles or b-logs on recovering/configuring Raid systems in Linux. I believe there was an article in Linux Journal in the last couple of months.

    I am fairly sure I read it there.

    Dick

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110
    You may end up back here after locating the article to deal with the idiosyncracies of using Knoppix, i.e. permissions for root, etc.

    I did the surfing. It was the june issue of Linux Journal.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4
    Thank you rcook, I've replied to your PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95