Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: 5.0.1 (2006-06-01) DVD and networking.

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    7
    I've already tried setting-up netcardconfig manually and it definitely doesn't work for me. I've decided to use PCLinuxOS instead. It comes with far less software than knoppix but at least the basics are working properly. I'm not sure which distribution it's based-on, if any, but I'd recommend it to anyone having trouble with knoppix. It even lets me use a 1280x1024 resolution, which knoppix didn't. I guess I should'nt be plugging a different system on a knoppix site, but if anyone's fed-up with knoppix not working then I strongly suggest them giving it a go.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1

    5.0.1 (2006-06-01) DVD AND CD and networking.

    I started to try out the 5.0.1 on a AMD 1 Ghz, 512 MByte with a 3COM NIC. I got a similar
    picture of the network trouble as discribed by sean,1986:

    a) dhcp configuration worked fine (!) with my DSL router - DHCP server combination provided
    by my telecommunication supplier

    ifconfig showed up the expected network address, broadcast addr and netmask

    b) a ping to the DHCP server failed: host unreachable message.

    c) dns and all other services fail

    d) while observing ip traffic, I saw activieties on the loop back device while pinging (lo)

    e) the 5.0.1-host is also not visible within the local network

    f) I tried the full installation of 5.0.1 and did a full manual network configuration.
    The malfunction is still the same.

    I hope that there is someone out who can put together the dangling ends - I'm sure
    the hardware is correct and I saw that the setup of the network worked correctly. The big
    question is: why does everything works fine with 4.0.2 (also in my case) - is there a trick
    with respect to features of the kernel or something like that (pure speculation)

    Best regards

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    7
    Heh, in fact, when I tried to load a webpage or something, I could see the light on the back of my network adapter flashing. Hope they sort it out because it has bags of decent software.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    5

    5.0.1 (2006-06-01) DVD and networking.

    I have posted to the 5.0 DVD buglist the following:

    For Knoppix 5.0.1 both DVD and CD
    1. Several different routers correctly configured several different net chips with DHCP in previous versions and are no longer doing so.
    2. There is a problem with hardware detection, specifically: NO /proc/pci which exists in previous versions.
    3. Intel and 3COM network chips that worked in previous versions are not being properly detected or configured .

    See: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/ (Networking) 5.0.1 (2006-06-01) DVD and networking for details.

    I hope these problems are fixed soon. New software and features are nice, but the old stuff has to work or nothing is gained.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Alien Arena 2006 GE Linux
    By Seyyapc in forum Games
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 04:11 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2006, 10:24 AM
  3. Brennprobleme mit KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-DE.iso
    By sensler in forum German Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 05:09 PM
  4. Symphony OS Beta 2006-05
    By wolfgang-s in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2006, 07:31 AM
  5. DVD knoppix 5 (cebit 2006) and adaptec 2100s raid
    By rmalaval in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 10:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00