Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Newbie need help: Can't mount from DVD-rom after upgrade

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7

    Newbie need help: Can't mount from DVD-rom after upgrade

    I've done a HD-install using Knoppix 5.0.1 debian like install: After I upgraded in Synaptic package manager I had lost my DVD/cdrom icons on the desktop and when I put a form of media in the drive an icon shows up but when I click on the icon it gives me this message:
    "Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: can't find /dev/hdc in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"
    hdc is not listed with hda(hard drive) and /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab are write protected so I'm clueless as to what to do???
    I also have a problem upgrading x11-common I get :
    "E: /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.0.20_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/bin', which is also in package imaze"
    and in the terminal of synaptic durring installing I get strange characters or another language???

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13

    I had the same problem

    Hi

    I had the same problem, but I install all new, the Knoppix 5.01. But I think is exactly the same problem.

    When I did click on partition hda1 or DVD or floppy disk icon the system show a mesagge like: "Imposible mount, not acces permited" or something like that.

    Well, I do this. First, if the message say "Unautorized acces" or something like that, that means that you don't have permission to use that device. In your fstab file you can change that at fstab file. (users instruction need)

    fstab file is a very important file, for that first make a backup of fstab file, and be sure to have a boot floppy disk (at install if possbile to create), only for security. But whit my steps is difficult make a mistake, but be sure..

    In a root conseloe or session writte

    cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup

    that you have a backuo of your fstab file, callend now "fstab.backup", then writte

    nedit /etc/fstab &

    with that instruction you go to open the file fstab whit nedit editor; of course you can use the editor that you preffer.

    When the fstab file is opne, you can change some lines, but BE CAREFUL this is a very important file.

    this lines that ia have in my fstab file

    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
    #/dev/cdrom1 /media/cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /media/dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0

    see that on cdrom1 i put a # at the start of the line, that means that line doń t work; i didn't erase

    and at the end of this file I wrote

    #Added by GRUS
    /dev/hdd /media/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/hdd /media/dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/fd0 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/floppy /media/floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

    of course you are interested only in CDROM and DVD lines, but I had problems with floppy, hda1.. etc... Still my hda1 don't work, but floppy and CDROM / DVD work fine

    I recomend read something about fstab first, at google you can find much information, to learn what means ro, users, no auto etc ...

    ro= rean only
    noauto = don't mount automaticly

    That work for my, I hope work for you too, but I want to insist, fstab is a very important file, create a backup.
    sorry my english, i'm from Mexico

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13

    ... complete

    ... Then, yesterday at the end of this post, I added 2 lines to my fstba file, and now my partition hda1 work fine. Is "read-only" but now is enough for me.

    My two lines

    #Lines added by GRUS
    /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs defaults,ro,auto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/hda1 ntfs auto,defaults,ro,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

    Perhaps an expert on Linux can say if this is correct or not. But now work.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Didn't seem to work but thanks for the help anyways... I'm using Disks Admin to enable the DVD-rom every session as a solution... I think what I had done was overwrite the scripts durring an update. Maybe a new update will fix the problem!?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13
    I don be sure. Sorry; i go to be very irresponsable if I answer something. Just I don't know. I not expert

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie Upgrade question
    By kbhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 02:24 AM
  2. Captive NTFS Drivers Dont Mount (Newbie?)
    By Green in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 11:06 PM
  3. Newbie Mount Problem
    By jdota in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:26 AM
  4. problem using apt-get with upgrade/dist-upgrade
    By vesselinpeev in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 09:03 PM
  5. Newbie Problem - Unable to mount root fs on 01:01 etc
    By Tony Magon in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 06:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01