-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
dpatchen
I think it's time for Geek Squad
When I said "professional", I don't think they were on my mind.
Harry's link might not have worked, so here is the gist of it: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman Then to http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Rescue_FAQ There are other things you can try, but it appears that your drive suffered a major brainfart (technical jargon for HOSED). Your data may not be recoverable by any easy methods and it is rather expensive to have it done by a data recovery service. I would not be using the drive as a main drive in the laptop again, since it appears to have issues. It should be replaced and everything installed on the new drive instead. That is my opinion. You could run diagniostic programs on it and verify it's function, but 9 times out of 10, they will just fail again. Laptop drives take a beating and are prone to failures. I would keep searching and doing a little reasearch in the community pages on the microsoft site and see if you can find any similar issues with a resolution. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. I would try to recover whatever data I could and then be certain to do frequent backups in the future. If your IT department has a spare drive, you might have them install it and see if you can keep the old one in order to try the data recovery. They also might have some tools that they could use to help you out. It is a wise person that makes friends with the resident computer gurus. I have been lucky sometimes by trying some disk imaging software. Ghost might work sometimes, but Acronis True Image surprised me several times by recovering some drives that Ghost choked on. Got most of the data, but sometimes not all, or it may be slightly corrupted. Best I've done is about 95% by that method. There may be alternative tools in Linux that could do the same, but since I have the others, I have no real need to experiment until a serious issue arises.
Similar Threads
-
By MichaelYoung in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-05-2006, 05:03 AM
-
By sakiZ in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-07-2005, 04:52 PM
-
By HisHighness in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-18-2005, 01:09 AM
-
By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
-
By area in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01