Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Resetting Windows XP password with Knoppix 5.0

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16

    Resetting Windows XP password with Knoppix 5.0

    Knoppix 5 has been recently release with support for NTFS read and write feature.
    On one of my Windows XP computer I have forget the Administrator password, I booted it with Knoppix 5 and set the C drive in read/write mode. After that I deleted the SAM file of Windows/system32, which contain the Windows XP password(as far as I know). But now I am facing new problem. When I start my Windows XP following error appears
    Code:
    Isass.exe-System Error  
    Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning. Error Status: 0xc0000001. Please click OK to shutdown this systen and reboot into Safe Mode, check the event log for more detailed infomation.
    I even coppied SAM file from other computer to this computer and also booted in Safe Mode, but still same error, sam message.

    Please advice me how to solve the problem. THANKS

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    If it is ISASS, it's not a valid Widows process. If it is a typo and is LSASS, then it's probably legit if properly located. The error message you describe could be due to an error in the process that authentictes user logins. I would try to replace the original SAM file and see what happens. If you just deleted it, you might have an issue.

    I would also recommend that you do not use Linux to write to an NTFS partition. The process is risky and I personally would not use it if I wanted to keep the dtata on the partition. I know it is claimed that 5.0.1 can write to NTFS, but that does not mean it is flawless and miught not corrupt your information.

    There are many tools you can use to write/replace the SAM files. One good tool for accessing and writing to an NTFS partition is BartPE. You might look here: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html Someone recently pointed me there, but I have not used it and cannot therefore recommend it.

    I would also search around on the Micro$oft site to see if there might be some good advice on this. They have tons of info if you would care to look for it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16
    I partially solve the problem, I coppied SAM file from Windows/repair folder to Windows/system32/config, but the problem is that it is asking original Admin password at time of windows XP was installed. I end with same place, I started all these because I had no Admin password, and computer asking me again. Any advice from any one.
    I heard about Winternals Administrative Pak, can any one tell me more about it, ofcourse it is not free. Any similar software, which is free.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    66
    Posts
    3
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html works. I've used it numerous times on W2K and WXP, most recently WXP Home. The only time it blew up was when I used an older version on SP1 on a lab rat. Keep your floppy disk up to date, you SHOULD have no trouble. Be sure you know exactly where the \config is or you will have to search it out if it's not in the default position.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    rwag66:

    Did you see the link I suggested in my previos post?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    66
    Posts
    3

    Resetting Windows XP passworks with Knoppix 5.0

    Ckamin:

    sure did, I've been using this since the early W2K days and look him up by google searching p. nordahl. I'ts been a year or so since I updated it. Since my last post, I've been experimenting with Knoppix 5.0.1 and 2 NTFS drives, some stuff won't write, not sure why. Read some more, found TRK 3.1, trinityhome.org, and the latest Captive-NTFS. Tried that on SuSE 9.3, wrong kernel, so just finished the SuSE 10.1 install, will try again with 2.6.16- something. Messing with an NTFS part is dicey, and I tend to be a little cavilier about things like that, so perhaps I've been lucky.

Similar Threads

  1. How to Reset Windows XP admin password with Knoppix
    By askme in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-25-2017, 02:47 AM
  2. Forgot Windows 2000 admin password. Knoppix solution??
    By spiferpipit in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 06:55 AM
  3. resetting root password on a SuSE 9.3 system
    By ferrel in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 09:48 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 05:04 PM
  5. Knoppix to crack a Windows password
    By duah55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 05:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99