I too have tried to slim down a knoppix cd. It is much easier to use a live cd distro that is small than making knoppix small. If you don't really need knoppix then you could try Slax, puppy or damn small linux as they are all light weight live cds.
I am working on a custom CD and need just Xwindows, a window manager, network support, and the auto detect tools. I have made one version after reading the Remastering HOWTO. I had to use a large chainsaw to remove a large chunk but still it seems there are things that I don't need. That and it is very time consuming.
The question, is there a way to build a Knoppix CD from the ground up? This is instead of taking the full blown CD and removing everything but starting with a small set and building from there.
I too have tried to slim down a knoppix cd. It is much easier to use a live cd distro that is small than making knoppix small. If you don't really need knoppix then you could try Slax, puppy or damn small linux as they are all light weight live cds.

Adobe InDesign 1.5 Macintosh Upgrade Vintage Mac Software Big Box Complete
$79.99
Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard
$249.95
Dell Inspiron E1505 Vintage Laptop – Windows XP – Working
$50.00
VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00
Gucci Leather Mouse Pad GG Monogram Green Vintage Authentic Deadstock Not Used
$326.72
Gucci Leather Mouse Pad GG Monogram Gold Vintage Authentic Black Used
$308.37
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Gucci Leather Mouse Pad GG Monogram Greige Vintage Authentic Deadstock Not Used
$293.68
Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00
Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s
$169.99