Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 1024x480 X support?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    1024x480 X support?

    Apologies if this is already covered somewhere; I've done a search on this forum for 1024x480 and come up blank, and the devel mailing list doesn't seem to be searchable. Pretty much all in the topic, actually. I have a Sony VAIO C1XD (UK version; US equivalent is the C1XS) laptop. This is in the Picturebook format with a widescreen LCD whose native resolution is 1024x480. I just used Knoppix to fix my unbootable (due to my own stupidity :>) Mandrake Cooker setup, and although it worked, video wasn't perfect. The consoles seemed to be expecting 1024x768 resolution and so I couldn't read the bottom half of what was on 'em (I could get round this with vga=normal, I guess, but it should be possible to do framebuffer consoles at 1024x480; it works in Mandrake) and I just couldn't get X to use 1024x480, even with the "screen=1024x480" kernel option recommended in the "help" screen. It looked like it was trying 1024x768 and the screen looked horribly garbled, X was unusable. I can post a working XF86Config-4 for operation at 1024x480 if that would help to get this fixed, or is there some trick I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: 1024x480 X support?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    Apologies if this is already covered somewhere; I've done a search on this forum for 1024x480 and come up blank, and the devel mailing list doesn't seem to be searchable. Pretty much all in the topic, actually. I have a Sony VAIO C1XD (UK version; US equivalent is the C1XS) laptop. This is in the Picturebook format with a widescreen LCD whose native resolution is 1024x480. I just used Knoppix to fix my unbootable (due to my own stupidity :>) Mandrake Cooker setup, and although it worked, video wasn't perfect. The consoles seemed to be expecting 1024x768 resolution and so I couldn't read the bottom half of what was on 'em (I could get round this with vga=normal, I guess, but it should be possible to do framebuffer consoles at 1024x480; it works in Mandrake) and I just couldn't get X to use 1024x480, even with the "screen=1024x480" kernel option recommended in the "help" screen. It looked like it was trying 1024x768 and the screen looked horribly garbled, X was unusable. I can post a working XF86Config-4 for operation at 1024x480 if that would help to get this fixed, or is there some trick I'm missing? Thanks in advance.
    Try knoppix fb1024x480 xvrefresh=60 at the boot: prompt.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2
    will do. I should mention I tried "xvrefresh 60" in combination with "screen=1024x480" before. even if this works, it's not a real fix, since using the neomagic driver with 1024x480 is possible; this is how the system runs in Mandrake. So it should be able to do 1024x480 with the correct driver and not fbdev.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 07:39 AM
  2. Booting knoppix in 1024x480 resolution
    By JepJep in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 12:43 AM
  3. NO AGP support?
    By alexjenx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 01:08 AM
  4. support AMD x86-64 ?
    By Mgz in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 06:04 PM
  5. HCF/HSF Support
    By VxJasonxV in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 04:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC RT-11 V5.0 8” Floppy Disks HT-11 System BASIC FORTRAN Software Lot picture

Vintage DEC RT-11 V5.0 8” Floppy Disks HT-11 System BASIC FORTRAN Software Lot

$199.95



Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)

$149.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is picture

(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is

$170.00



DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$100.00



Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware picture

Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware

$649.00



VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C picture

VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C

$140.00



Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19

Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor TESTED

$219.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT picture

Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT

$7250.00