-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Smart Boot Manager can be run from a floppy disk without ever installing it to the MBR (from a floppy is the way that I would recomend using it if you wanted to find out if you liked it). Still, I've had no problems installing it to an MBR or removing it, although I like XOSL much better. I didn't mention XOSL in this case because XOSL must be installed; it can not run from a floppy.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Maybe it's the hardware, but we have seen many cases of such problems with high speed burns and with bad media, they tend to work on some systems but not others.
Good point, I will see about this when I get the 5.0.1 CD and DVD.
If you are using "recent" computers which (the bios) can boot off a usb device (hdd or large pen drive)
you can install knoppix, the bootloader and your data on the same usb device and boot from it !
FYI, PQI has a very small and flat usb pen drive "intelligent stick" $25 at newegg...
Yes Gilles, that is a "stretch" goal of mine.
Thanks for the tip about PQI...
<later>
Gilles, I noticed that PQI thing is a small flat card that first plugs into a plastic USB-form factor holder. Is the holder required to use it? Or can you just plug the bare card into a USB port? If the holder is required, that would negate much of the advantage of the small card size...
<later yet>
Wow, it doesn't need the holder. Gotta have one!
If you are a windows user and are not very experienced with boot loaders I would be very careful !
I just don't like touching the master boot record (mbr) and/or the disk/partition boot sector
of a working windows system which is not mine, or I just cannot take the risk to break ...
Precisely my concern.
Smart Boot Manager can be run from a floppy disk without ever installing it to the MBR...
Which makes it worth looking at, and I will do so. However remember my "usage model". When travelling, boot loaders are irrelevant because I will simply boot from CD on another's machine. In house, I want more convenience, yet still would rather avoid trampling the MBR, so IPUG's solution looks good to me. Also, I like the old-fashioned way of diddling with small scripts like config.sys, makes the system more understandable and able to tinker with (something that irritated me about the way 98, XP, etc tried to hide system details from users - I'm a tinkerer).
But Smart Boot Manager on floppy will be my next step if this minimalist grub flops for some reason.
Similar Threads
-
By aduncan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-15-2009, 09:54 AM
-
By ugo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-02-2005, 04:02 PM
-
By B@se in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
-
By Ryan450 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-17-2005, 05:28 AM
-
By AcEtOkE in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-30-2004, 02:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99