-
Junior Member
registered user
Booting Knoppix 5.0 on a non-DVD machine?
I have an IMB Thinkpad A21m that for some reason will not boot or read the Knoppix 5.0 DVD, even though I can play movie DVDs on the machine (yes, my BIOs is up-to-date). Knoppix 4.0.2 works.
I thought I'd try a Poor Man's Install of the 5.0 on it. I put that DVD into another machine that was networked to the Thinkpad, both booted under Windows, and copied the KNOPPIX directory over to the Thinkpad's hard drive (I had previously renamed the KNOPPIX directory from the 4.0.2 to something else).
I then needed a way to start the boot. I tried booting using the 4.0.2 CD, and it sorta worked, but some things were not functional, so I guess it is not as easy as that. The documentation on this site mentioned a mkfloppy script for starting the boot with that, but it must no longer be present with 5.0 (I couldn't find it, anyway).
Anyone got a straightforward way to launch 5.0 off my hard drive, not involving something like lilo or grub? Was my procedure of just copying the KNOPPIX directory over correct, or does the "tohd" cheatcode do something more complex than that when it creates the hard drive copy?
Similar Threads
-
By aduncan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-15-2009, 09:54 AM
-
By ugo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-02-2005, 04:02 PM
-
By B@se in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
-
By Ryan450 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-17-2005, 05:28 AM
-
By AcEtOkE in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-30-2004, 02:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent
$175.00

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade
$36.99

OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576
$26.99

New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6" Battery 11.25V 41Wh 3467mAh G91J0 MGCM5
$44.95

Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New
$33.50