-
Lost XP Parition on Resize in Knoppix 4.0.2: What happened?
Hey. I just wanted to ask for your guys thoughts about a mistake I made. Ok here's what happened. I wanted to make space for a linux distribution on a system with one big NTFS partition, and so I booting my Knoppix Live CD. I had planned to use ntfsresize from www.ntfs-tools.org (I think). When I got into Knoppix (v4.0.2), I tried to use QTParted, which didn't seem to work (I would resize the Ntfs partition and after a while get a blank message box with only an ok button, and after I pressed Ok it returned to the original screen, having done nothing. I'm only guessing that this was an issue of needing to be root.
But then, I went to the command line (as root) to use ntfsresize manually. Everything seemed to go fine, but I was surprised when the utility told me I had to "delete" the original partition and "re-create" the partition with the new parameters. I decided, rather than use the "expert" fdisk, to use Qtparted to do this. I deleted the original partition in qtparted and recreated it with the new size...but it didn't work!!! All I got was a blank new partition! I messed around more than once with the cylinder, thinking that maybe I didn't have the correct starting cylinder, but I never got it. In the end, I had to take it into the shop in order to recover the data (my bad, that I didn't backup the data).
What went wrong? Was it that I used Qtparted, because it "automatically" formatted the partition when all I really wanted to do was to "update" the partition table to have the new end cylinder??? Should've I just used fdisk?? Any thoughts on what happened here? Was there an easier way to solve thiS than to take it into the shop???
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By tkoskela in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-15-2007, 02:13 PM
-
By rossi in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-06-2005, 09:24 PM
-
By ricardomardi in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-13-2005, 10:15 PM
-
By blt975 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-13-2004, 10:39 PM
-
By solfrio in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 10-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen
$59.99

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$101.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$163.49