Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: What can I install if I can't install new 5.0.1? Debian?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13

    What can I install if I can't install new 5.0.1? Debian?

    What linux software is close to knoppix that I could install?
    I looked on the Debian site but I have zero clue how to download that ,or how it works. The different ways to install have me confused. I have a Hp a730n desktop with a 3.00 intel p4 and 1 gb ram with a 200gb harddrive. I split the harddrive in half so I could install knoppix, but when I tried it just messed up my machine. Does anyone live near Rochester N.Y? I'll just pay someone to install the software. I just want to get started and get going so I can learn things. I don't like using the live disk. Then when I download the plugins and turn off the computer they are gone.Of course any software thats close to knoppix would be the best. I tried CentOS a few times and I had zero clue how to use that.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Got network access on the system that you want to install to? Go here. Download the ISO from the first line that is right for you, i386 for most pc users, ia64 if you have a 64 bit system. Burn it to CDR or CDRW. Make sure that you have some unpartitioned space available on the hard drive (delete that old Knoppix mistake if you have not already done so). Boot the CD you made. Go through the dialog. When you get to the software selection point install the "Desktop environment" if you want a GUI (it will install Gnome, you can always apt-get KDE if you want that). Good Luck.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Install Debian over Knoppi.
    By viabsb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 03:25 PM
  2. Debian HD install 4.0
    By whoeverheis in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 12:41 AM
  3. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  4. knx hd install is not just debian
    By agendelman in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 09:42 PM
  5. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial picture

A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial

$319.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00