Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Chess Software over LAN?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Chess Software over LAN?

    Do any of you know of any software I could use to replace one chess set and clock for 2 players over a LAN? I would like to use something like this in my chess club running KNOPPIX.

    TIA,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Chess Software over LAN?

    ' apt-cache search chess |sort ' came up with a few things you could look into:

    gnuchess
    xboard
    3dchess
    crafty

    --I dunno about the clock tho, might have to do that one manually.

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Do any of you know of any software I could use to replace one chess set and clock for 2 players over a LAN? I would like to use something like this in my chess club running KNOPPIX.

    TIA,

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    How about rgXnetchess? I can't get it to compile! Please see
    http://www2.uni-jena.de/allgpsy/rg/chess.html
    and let me know what I'm doing wrong....

    TIA,

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Its looking to compile the Qt libraries. How do i include these on the compile line?

    I have a c++ class that uses the X11 graphics libraries and my compile line is something like:

    g++ -o myprog myprog.cc ccc_x11.cpp ccc_shap.cpp -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11

    Do I need something like -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 for the Qt libs?

    The code looked like C, so I tried:

    gcc -o chess chess.cc

    and got tons of errors.

    Then I tried g++ like this:

    g++ -o chess chess.cc

    and it can't find all the Qt #include lines!

    How do i fix this?

    TIA,

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    usually you would cd to the source directory and use:

    make

    I went to the webpage and there is a statically linked binary there, have you tried that, with all of the qt version problems that is what I'd try.

    HTH

    rock

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I tried make and got no where!

    Let me look at the static lib.

    Thanx,

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I looked at the static and dynamic libraries. I must be dense, but what exactly can I do with these???

    TIA,

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Ok, I tried the following compile line:

    g++ -o chess chess.cc -I/usr/include/qt

    Now I get the Qt libraries, but still no compile!

    Regards,

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Have you seen glChess? http://www.happypenguin.org/show?glChess

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Ok, I tried the following compile line:

    g++ -o chess chess.cc -I/usr/include/qt

    Now I get the Qt libraries, but still no compile!

    Regards,

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Yes, I have seen glChess, but you can't play over a network. The problem is I can't find ANY chess program where I can play an opponent over a LAN in real time with a chess clock! rgXnetchess, based on xboard, is supposed to do exactly that.

    Thanx anyway!

    Regards,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Chess
    By grandad in forum Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 12:46 AM
  2. software
    By Xpiral in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 03:38 PM
  3. new software
    By dougvega in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 04:46 AM
  4. SOFTWARE
    By Doc in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 06:43 AM
  5. Software
    By Zuggy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 03:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$95.99