-
Unable to write on FAT32 partition as regular user
Hi,
I am currently using Knoppix 5.0.1, HD install, and I am trying to write to my FAT32 partition in order to store some files I want to download with Bittorrent. But when I try to do so, I receive an error message:
Failed to create directory /media/hda1/directory
(Do you have the required permissions?
This is my mount output regarding /media/hda1:
Code:
/dev/hda1 on /media/hda1 type vfat (rw)
where I guess that rw means that it is mounted as read-write, and not read-only.
I also tried to change the permission both on command line (chmod 777 /media/hda1), and on the properties menu (right-click on the icon), but I got no results. And I also tried to click on "Change read/write mode" on the right-click menu of the hda1 icon on my desktop, getting no results.
Then I tried to change the group of the folder to users, and this is what I got:
Code:
root@scatoletta:/home/mmanu# chgrp users /media/hda1
chgrp: changing group of `/media/hda1': Operation not permitted
At the end I tried just to create a folder in /media/hda1 to be sure that my problem was not caused by Bittorrent:
Code:
mmanu@scatoletta:/media/hda1$ mkdir new
mkdir: cannot create directory `new': Permission denied
At this point I am short of ideas, and I don't understand what is going on.
Any suggestion?
Thank you for your time.
Similar Threads
-
By someuser77 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-13-2005, 08:01 PM
-
By bighero in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 11:44 AM
-
By Dan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:14 PM
-
By margaritaville in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:09 AM
-
By area in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00