Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Setting internet connection

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10

    Setting internet connection

    I am newbie to knoppix as well as linux.All worked well except the inability to connect to internet.How to set up internet connection with my type of connection. I use Conexant AccessRunner USB ADSL Wan Adapter modem with broadband connection.I dont have router and ethernet interface.Please help me.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10
    Help me please??????

  3. #3
    Run program usbview, and locate your USB modem. Then copy all information you have there about your modem, and send it here to us. Then we may try to help you. But you know, USB modems are problem and better way is having ethernet router. It is possible it wont run anyway.

    Well, but i found something. Try to follow instructions on http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net/

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10
    Cant I just copy and paste the details of my modem from usbview to Kwrite?

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    This is talked about here in 4, 9 and to some extent 3.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10
    I want to ask you,what country you live.
    In your place,yes ,it is very cheap but in my country,Malaysia (may be you even dont know where is it) it is quite expensive .
    Its about RM 100+ for that.

    I would try to find the site for a screenshot of my modem's detail.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10
    This is the screenshot of my modem'detail

    http://www.slax.org/ss/user/image20060620151414.jpg

    Another one(the continuation)



    http://www.slax.org/ss/user/image20060620151348.jpg

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedie
    I want to ask you,what country you live.
    In your place,yes ,it is very cheap but in my country,Malaysia (may be you even dont know where is it) it is quite expensive .
    Its about RM 100+ for that.

    I would try to find the site for a screenshot of my modem's detail.
    I'm in the US, it says that under my icon on every one of my posts.

    Yes, I have a pretty good idea of where Malaysia is. I might have trouble locating your exact boarders on an unmarked map, as you are not all on one land mass, but I know the areas.

    I have no idea what the exchange rates are or what RM 100 is in dollars. It really doesn't matter though; it doesn't stop USB networking from being a bad idea or not using a router on a high speed connection from being very unsafe. And while we can often find routers very inexpensive on sale (although the sales have been harder to find lately), I bought my first wired router at well ovr $100 U.S. several years ago, at a time that I didn't have a job, and it was still a good deal and an important thing to have.


    Why your prices may not reflect the same world economy that I see I don't know, but it is something that you should look into before you next vote. I can assure you that more of the cosumer electronics sold here is imported from Malaysia than made here. China is currently the largest producer, but after them come several other countries all in your geographic area including your own, so there is no good reason why it should cost less to import across the Pascific and sell a router here than it would cost there. And I don't know if that price includes hidden "VAT" taxes, and I could cry to you about that sales tax put on top of the prices I mention here, as well as both federal and state income taxes and a few other sleezy taxes here, but that is getting off topic. The bottom line is that there is the right equipment for safe networking and there is the wrong equipment. USB and no router is the wrong equipment. IPS try to pass it off on users here too; it doesn't make it good. If all of your computer equipment prices are inflated then I suggest that you just look at ethernet networking and a router as another necessary part. If, as I have been lead to believe, you actually get most of your electronic equipment at bargan prices in contrast to what we pay here then I would think that you could take some of that money that you saved and spend it on solving your problems.

    I'm not trying to be harsh in saying that. but I don't think it is very reasonable to expect Linux to support every badly designed USB networking device made, particularly when the manufacturers don't release Linux drivers. Or for Knoppix to add the bloat of including all of the bad drivers into a Live CD. And running without a router puts the entire Internet at risk , as well as your own system (most spam is now sent, and virus, trojan and DNS attacks carried out, from infected systems that were infected because they did't have the natural NAT hardware firewall protection that a router provides).

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10
    I want to tell you that 1 USD=RM3.6
    So the price of the router is about 30-40 USD( I said it is 100+ not 100)
    The problem is Im only 15 years old.Im not working yet.
    And my computer is my father's,so I must get his permission.
    He would ask why we need a router since I dont have more than one computer.
    I know that a router provide better security but my computer have never get infected by virus yet so we dont need to get a router.
    (Maybe I have not yet get the punishment for not using a router)
    If like that I have to get a virus so my father would purchase a router but I cannot do that.
    the 30-40 USD may not represent a big amount in USA but in my country RM 100+ is a big amount

    So its not that I dont want to get a router but I unable to.
    Please help me connect to internet.

  10. #10
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedie
    but my computer have never get infected by virus yet so we dont need to get a router.
    (Maybe I have not yet get the punishment for not using a router)
    You can afford a computer. You can afford high speed access. Your router might cost 1/3 of what my first one cost. But you don't want to spend the money for safe access.

    It doesn't sound like the router is your only problem anyway, since as far as I know your modem is only USB. You couldn't hook a router up to a junky usb-only modem even if you had one. But if the modem maker does not provide Linux drivers then there is nothing that I can do to help you. There isn't much more that I can tell you that I have not already covered in the above links.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [newbie]setting up my adsl connection
    By ht3new2linux in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 04:08 AM
  2. I'd like some help setting up my connection.
    By Zenobia in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2006, 02:18 PM
  3. Setting up Dsl connection
    By jdmml in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 02:24 PM
  4. Setting up broadband connection
    By whizkid25 in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 08:47 AM
  5. Setting up Internet
    By bach_m in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 06:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99