Writing to NTFS has long been a problem for Linux. Personally I feel that this is a deliberate problem created by Microsoft, who are well known to hate Linux, and don't want Linux to be able to write to Microsoft partitions, even when Linux might be the only tool that can read a NTFS partition when Windows claims it can't. Maybe particularly when Linux might be the only tool that can read a NTFS partition when Windows claims it can't. With customers now well taught to do "sexcurity updates", I suspect that Linux developers are shooting at a moving target, and that if they come up with a way to write to NTFS properly for a while it will soon break. And the spin will be negative on Linux, not on where it belongs.

Of course, I would expect that they would have liked to do this with FAT partitions as well, but they are too well understood and this simply couldn't happen. But not so with NTFS. I can offer no other explination why so many good programers have had so much trouble with this issue.

So if you do come across some tool that you think can do this jiob, be very very careful with it. It may not wiork tomorrow or on the next system you come across, or even on one it seemed to work well on before.