Ok I have been struggling with this wirless setup for quite a while
I have a Dlink DWL-G510
I have the card working in the respect that I can Scan for access points nad sees my access point, but I cannot seem to communicate with it using WEP
I dont like the idea of disabling WEP but if I have to in the end then I will do so and restrict access by MAC address
(although this isnt too secure as you can spoof the Mac to connect)
Anyway here is my config and all the stuff Ive type to try stuff
here is all the info .
Iknow it isnt working because even if I ifdown eth0
and leave only the wirless interface ath0 up I cannot do a apt-get updat or any other networking commands...
also the ifconfig shows nothing but errors for RX
===========================
IFCONFIG
===========================
ath0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:E9:A2:C1:92
inet addr:192.168.1.215 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::215:e9ff:fea2:c192/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:60 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:60
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:200
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:21 Memory:f2940000-f2950000
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:32 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:32 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2085 (2.0 KiB) TX bytes:2085 (2.0 KiB)
==============================
IWCONFIG
==============================
ath0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:""JoEwIrEL3Ss""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Bit Rate:1 Mb/s Tx-Power:18 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
Retryff RTS thr
ff Fragment thr
ff
Encryption key:69C9-DE2E-01 Security mode:restricted
Power Managementff
Link Quality=0/94 Signal level=-95 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
==============================
ROUTE
==============================
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 ath0
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ath0
==============================
File /etc/network/interfaces
==============================
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(, ifdown(
# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0 ath0
iface lo inet loopback
iface ath0 inet static
wireless_essid "JoEwIrEL3Ss"
wireless_key 69C9DE2E01
wireless_mode managed
wireless_channel 11
address 192.168.1.215
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.210
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00
Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99
Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95
DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$79.99
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00