Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: sndconfig not detecting soundcard

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3

    sndconfig not detecting soundcard

    When I run sndconfig I get the message, "You dont seem to be runing a kernel with modular sound enabled."

    How do I enable modular sound or get a kernel with modular sound enabled?

    I have knoppix installed on the hard drive btw.


    sys specs:
    knoppix 5.0.1
    Sound blaster 128 pci
    512 ddr
    1.6 ghz

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    First of all, you may not have had a response since your question involves a Hard Drive installation and would be better placed in that part of the forum.

    I would try running alsaconf from a terminal window as root. I have not had good luck using the soundconf tool either. I get the same messages as you have, but have used alsaconf with success. Just let it detect your soundcard. I usually don't install Knoppix to the hard drive, since it is really not intended to be installed. I would recommend something like Debian for a HDD install. Instaling Knoppix to the hard drive usually results in numerous issues, such as the one you have encountered, so far. Networking is also a badly affected area.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3

    rude

    Please dont be rude, i'm new to this forum and knoppix.


    Thanks, Jason

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3

    sound working, thanks

    I got the sound working. Alsaconf detected my soundcard and installed the appropriate soundcard drivers.


    Thanks, Jason

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by jasin
    Please dont be rude, i'm new to this forum and knoppix
    I'm not trying to be rude, or to give you a hard time. It's good advice and needed to be conveyed. It is sometimes difficult in getting help to resolve your issues in any forum. Posting in the proper place can put you one step ahead, since the right people will see your post quickly. I'm sorry if it sounded that way, but there was no intention of being rude.

    I'm glad that it appears your sound card issue has been resolved. It has been my experience that for some reason, the Soundconfig tool has not worked for me and gives the same error messages you had encountered. I just now automatically use the alsaconf tool and then set up KMix or some other sound app to handle the controls.

    You will find that there are many people that have installed Knoppix to their hard drives and have encountered numerous problems after the install. Things that worked fine as a live disk refuse to work after the install. I usually just use a distro intended for a hard disk install if that is the intention. Live distros usually don't install well. Some exceptions exist, like Kanotix, but most are troublesome and not something a beginner would not want to try.

Similar Threads

  1. Autoconfig/sndconfig cant find compatible soundcard
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
  2. where can I find sndconfig?
    By bela in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
  3. Detecting Soundcard
    By djtwok in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 09:35 PM
  4. sndconfig 0.7 doesn't work!
    By PsycoX in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2003, 12:21 PM
  5. sndconfig looking in the wrong place?
    By fingers99 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS picture

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS

$67.99



AMD Ryzen 5 9600X 9000 Series Desktop Processor CPU Retail Box picture

AMD Ryzen 5 9600X 9000 Series Desktop Processor CPU Retail Box

$130.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00