As it turns out, the "Konsole" Shell runs as a lower access user than I needed.
Found the "Root Shell" in K | NOPPIX | Root Shell. The command worked fine in there. (I assume that runs as "root" for Knoppix purposes.)
Now happily destroying data.![]()
Knoppix 1cd 5.0
Using a IDE drive to play around with.
Want to mount, wipe and shred a stack of SCSI drives using Knoppix. (Smashing them will work, but it'd be a shame to do that if I can avoid it.)
The problem;
Boots fine and can get to GUI and mount and write to HDA1 from the desktop.
Can mount SDA1 (and SDA2 if there is more than one partition). But they appear as a "USB Thumb drive" icon with "Hard Disk" label.
Using the "make read/write" on right click. Status does not change on SDA1. Can't write to it at all, but can delete some things not not marked as "read only". (I believe the particular drive I am starting on is NTFS.)
Basically, I would like to use Knoppix to destroy data... only I don't know how it would be different for a SCSI drive from and IDE drive.
shred -n 2 -v -z -f /dev/hda1
Works fine.
shred -n 2 -v -z -f /dev/sda1
Errors out with "Failed to open for writing: Operation not Permitted"
Where can I poke this to get it to let me destroy the data on these drives?
Thanks
As it turns out, the "Konsole" Shell runs as a lower access user than I needed.
Found the "Root Shell" in K | NOPPIX | Root Shell. The command worked fine in there. (I assume that runs as "root" for Knoppix purposes.)
Now happily destroying data.![]()

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$8.00
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2
$7.84
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.59