-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
bender
but I just need the startdisc/bootdisc ...
(because I have a floppy)
Smart Boot Manager IS a boot disk of sorts. It will allow you to select the boot device and will work in most cases. It will work with almost ANY boot device that your system might recognize. It has worked quite well for me in the past. It does NOT modify your hard drive or system if you install it to a floppy. It allows you to select the boot device, whether it is the optical drive, floppy, or hard drive. It is very simple to use and set up. It will allow you to boot other types of disks from your optical drive and is not limited to Knoppix as the knoppix boot disk might be. It is a very good alternative, since I don't really know of an easy way to produce a Knoppix boot disk without the bat file to do so. It appears that the boot disk option is not available in the newest version of Knoppix. Smart Boot Manager is a very good tool and I keep a couple of disks around and use it quite regularly for systems with issues such as yours. I would highly recommend that you try it, since it appears that the option you are looking/hoping for is not available in Version 5.0.1.
As I mentioned before, it could possibly be a bios issue and you might be successful looking for a bios update from Dell. It may make the Bootdisk unecessary.
Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. A viable solution has been recommended and it appears that you don't wish to try it. I would also like to buy gasoline for under $1 US, but that is not possible here anymore either, so I have to deal with what is available.
Similar Threads
-
By victorhooi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:20 PM
-
By juni in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 09:39 AM
-
By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 10-31-2003, 04:33 AM
-
By Nils_ in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-07-2003, 10:16 PM
-
By marcelwalus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00

Dell PERC H755 8GB NV 12Gb/s Pci-e RAID controller card 29XMF Full Height
$899.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

LSI Oracle 9361-16i 16-Port 12Gb SAS PCIe RAID Controller 7332895
$77.97

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J
$70.00

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3
$59.99