What an impressive distro!
I'm sufficiently whelmed with Knoppix that I'd consider using it for servers. BUT as I can't always be there to guide the interactive boot sequence I can't use it as a server.
Many other people also seem to want to control the boot process, perhaps then running some sort of default application or script.
I thus suggest that the BASE Knoppix application should behave as follows:
If boot times out, Knoppix by default performs a search of all mountable devices in a specific sequence, such as:
<removables>
USB devices
floppy disks
<fixed>
hard drives in SCSI then IDE a > z, partition 1 > higher order
(- any more devices?)
for the first instance of a file called knoppix.boot.
This holds a normal boot-line command e.g. home=scan etc.
On completing boot to the point that X is about to be started, at that point Knoppix scans devices in a specific sequence, this time being:
<removables>
USB devices
floppy disks
<fixed>
Knoppix home directory as defined in knoppix.boot
hard drives in SCSI then IDE a > z, partition 1 > higher order
(- any more devices?)
looking for a file called knoppix-apps.boot
If not found, a default is run which results in the usual KDE desktop.
knoppix-apps.boot would be a bash script which would start the user's choice of desktop, any specific apps etc. People would soon be swapping useful scripts.
Yes, I could make a new CD which did stuff like this. And remake it on the next release, and the next etc. This sort of stuff though would cover so many custom CD bases that I think it should be in the base distro.
Does this give enough control + cover the main needs? This would be useful for me and offer lots of flexibility.
Thanks to all,
?:^)
brodders

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95