-
DHCP not working trying to connect to Windows Network
Hi,
Knoppix newbie. The Windows XP PC had it's network settings set to "Get IP & DNS address automatically".
But When I try to configure Knoppix via netcardconfig and say yes to DHCP it say resource temprarily unavailable?
Help me pls!!
What should the manual settings be?
zzapper
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Do you think it might help if you told us what you are hooking up to?
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Harry,
The Network is driven by a BT Voyager 240 Router which connects to Broadband.
From my Knoppix PC (Live CD) I and ping 127.0.0.1 OK but that's all
I have tried setting manual DNS, Gateway etc from netcardconfig
zzapper
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
zzapper
Harry,
The Network is driven by a BT Voyager 240 Router which connects to Broadband.
OK, good. A router should set you up by DHCP and things should just work. Apparently that is not happening here but the problem should be resolvable.

Originally Posted by
zzapper
From my Knoppix PC (Live CD) I and ping 127.0.0.1 OK but that's all
Meaningless. Pinging the loopback doesn't test the hardware at all. It would be much more useful to know what failed.

Originally Posted by
zzapper
I have tried setting manual DNS, Gateway etc from netcardconfig
So what happened? What settings did you try (and why did you select those values)? I can't tell you what the manual settings should be without knowing what your router's IP address is and what settings it normally is expected to hand out.
So tell us what you are trying to use. Also tell us the results of typing ipconfig in your windows machine(s) at a command prompt, as well as what ifconfig is telling you under Knoppix.
If you have any nasty "security features" turned on in that router, like limiting access by MAC address or even by IP address, turn them off for now. I don't know if your router has these features or not, but many do and we have tracked down some problems to the router doing exactly what it had been told to do.
Can you ping the router's local IP address? Do you know the router's local IP address?
-
Harry,
I'm trying to write some info back to a windows directory
/media/hda1/temp/kxtrace.txt
but I'haven't got write access, where can I write to?
Dave
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
zzapper
but I'haven't got write access, where can I write to?
See answer #6 and think alternatives like flash drives and even floppies.
Similar Threads
-
By Mattr35 in forum Networking
Replies: 16
Last Post: 06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
-
By fordfasterr in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-04-2004, 03:44 PM
-
By Rakim in forum Networking
Replies: 13
Last Post: 06-20-2004, 02:27 PM
-
By wangcity in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:54 PM
-
By martig in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-29-2003, 09:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99