-
Install in text mode
Hi!
sorry about the first message in spanish! I'll try again in English. I'm trying to install Knoppix in my laptop and I have very few RAM so I can only do it in text mode. It doesn't reconise the sudo knx-hdinstall so now I don`t know what to do (I'm new in linux!). Also, any of you know a substitute to KDE that requires less RAM?
Thanks a lot!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
There are GUIs with lower memory needs than KDE. icewin is often mentioned for Knoppix (warning: I've never used it, so I am not giving advice to use it). But the wisdom of installing Knoppix at all is questionable. I have two suggestions to offer:
- 1) Post your actual system specs so that people can know what the target system is. To some people an "old" system is a 1 ghz Athlon with a 60 gig hard drive, to others it is a 25 mhz 386 (or older CPU) and 8 megs of RAM. Linux can run on either (Knoppix will not), but we can not give good advice without knowing the target system.
2) Consider installing Debian rather than Knoppix. You will avoid the well known Knoppix install problems. You can install a less demanding GUI like Gnome (if you have the resources for that). You can install exactly the UI and other applications that you want, and you don't end up installing lots of applications that you don't want and will never use (saving resources).
-
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
The computer is an Intel Pentium II, 233 MHz, cache 512kB and 98MB aprox. of memory.
Debian is the better option then?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Debian is a much better option (one reason being that it works when a Knoppix "install" usually has problems). I suggest a "net" install of Debian Etch (testing), and taking the "Desktop" option during the install to install the Gnome desktop (less overhead than KDE), although the are other lower impact GUIs that you could use as well.
-
Aloe,
It's "sudo knoppix-installer" now.
Art
Similar Threads
-
By Wollongong in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-07-2010, 01:05 PM
-
By knopx4me in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-16-2005, 01:30 PM
-
By Jesse555 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-10-2004, 07:52 AM
-
By rquiggle in forum The Lounge
Replies: 12
Last Post: 11-20-2004, 11:24 AM
-
By jerome187 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-12-2003, 05:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00