Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Boot hangs at dhcp - 5.0 and linksys wmp54g

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7

    Boot hangs at dhcp - 5.0 and linksys wmp54g

    I have a linksys wireless router and a linksys wmp54g wireless card

    When I try to start knoppix 5.0 and it reaches the networking part, it says

    eth0 detected
    dhcp broadcasting for ip
    udevd - event[3258]: wait for sysfs: waiting for 'sys/class/net/eth0/device/driver' failed

    Nothing seems to happen after that. I'm stuck.

    I wonder if it's because my router doesn't broadcast the ssid.
    Would this be the case?
    What do I do?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    To get around it and boot to a working system with DHCP diabled, use the boot cheatcode:
    knoppix nodhcp

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7
    I tried the nodhcp cheat.

    The system then booted to a full screen, single user terminal window.

    It was not obvious to me what to do to get out of this.

    I'm probably missing something really simple.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7

    correcting previous message

    The reply I posted a couple minutes ago was innaccurate. I must not have been paying careful attention yesterday when I tried nodhcp on my own.

    I just tried again. The last thing that appears is this.

    probing/loading agp modules udevd_event[3391]: wait for sysfs: waiting for '/sys/c;ass/net/eth0/device/driver' failed.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3
    It's not just you. I have the same problem with the Knoppix 5.01 DVD I just downloaded. It doesn't appear to have to do with DHCP, from other bits of information I've gathered using Google. In your case and mine, it is a driver issue.

    I get the following:

    udevd-event[3788]: wait_for_sysfs: waiting for '/sys/class/net/eth1/device/driver' failed

    So I imagine that the solution involves modifying the ISO image to include the necessary drivers?

    Both your card and mine use the same chipset, the Ralink RT2500. There is a project underway to make linux drivers that has met with some success, but it's far over my newbie head as to how to use them with the Knoppix DVD.

    Official Drivers (old): http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

    New Drivers (beta): http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

    It would appear that whichever you choose, they need to be compiled.

    I'm just wondering if there is a way to skip network detection completely without skipping detection of other devices?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7
    Booting with the nodhcp cheat will work in knoppix 4.0. I downloaded the cd and tried it. But, of course, there is no internet. It looks like we are stuck.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7

    PS - I think we are not alone.

    Another post
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24718
    seems to suggest that there are a lot of problems with wireless.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1
    I have problems booting CD/DVD Knoppix 5.0.2. After starting "autoconfiguring devices" the computers hangs-up. What shall I do?
    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.1.0 and Linksys WMP54G
    By PaulE in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 07:51 AM
  2. 5.0.1 Linksys WMP54G (rt2500) booting weirdness
    By rlgoddard in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 11:48 AM
  3. still trying top get linksys wmp54g to work
    By CJWertz in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 06:54 PM
  4. hangs with linksys wmp54g rt2500
    By szumi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 04:34 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$1029.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19