-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
toppshatta
I also looked at the broadcast adress the router was broadcasting to and found that it had a mac adress of ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff i was really confused by this.
That's actually OK, the way ethernet is designed to work. Remember, IP packets are just a software abstraction, at the lowest protocol level everything has to translate to an ethernet packet. So to broadcast to all MAC addresses, ethernet needs a "broadcast address" concept similar to the Broadcast address that TCP/IP uses. In the case of MAC address based ethernet, all ff's is the designated broadcast address.

Originally Posted by
toppshatta
I also pinged the bcast addressed 10.0.0.255 and 255.255.255.255 and had no prblems at all.
I'm not sure what this means or what happened. Pinging a broadcast address is, at best, bad form, as if it does decide that it can ping the address it could cause a lot of systems to respond at the same time. I suggest sticking to pinging the router, pinging other computers, or even pinging non existant addresses on your sub-net (I do this to force the system to try to figure out where that address is, which generates ARP packets.

Originally Posted by
toppshatta
My windows xp isnt up at al i did some madness with some .dll files and the system wont boot. i tried reinstalling but it says my hd has error so it cant install. So im stuck with knoppix.
Thanks again. im kinds busy so wil reply sumtime later
Too bad about the windows side being down, you would see some interesting Microsoft network broadcasts as it tries to keep the workgroup organized. But this isn't the heart of the problem. You'll want to focus on finding ARP packets and seeing what addresses they use. I just did this under Knoppix 5.0.2 running ethereal under root (sudo ethereal from a console) and it worked as expected (mostly, I'm having one annoying problem getting the diplay to update in real time rather than having to stop the capture to look at the packets).
You might want to put another Knoppix CD in the down windows system, that way you can generate ARP traffic on demand (just ping unused 10.0.0.xxx addresses from the other system).
Good luck. I really think this thing can be resolved, focus on what broadcast address the router is using and what broadcast your system is using. If you can reconfigure the mask (aka sub-net mask) in the router try setting it to 255.255.255.0 and using a broadcast address of 10.0.0.255 across your network). Otherwise use whatever broadcast address that the router insists on (unless it's 255.255.255.255, which I just don't see making sense). Keep me posted and I'll try to provide whatever help I can.
Similar Threads
-
By Translash in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-04-2007, 01:36 PM
-
By yuri refolo in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-07-2006, 11:21 PM
-
By EdT in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-28-2006, 07:00 PM
-
By the_isz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-03-2003, 12:16 PM
-
By Hans in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00