Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: why does my install work while others are not?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13

    why does my install work while others are not?

    First of all I think it helps if you have a newer desktop computer.One that was made in the last 5 years. Then, I have only the 5.0.1 installed(no xp).The best thing to do is buy a few books and read them before you go any farther. The guys on this web site get really mad when newbies ask the same questions over and over again.Also search before you post. Now once your over the dummy stage you can begin.I started with Knoppix for dummies. It had a step by step instruction section for installing. It took less time to install than xp. The only thing I use my new box for is for e-mail, searching the web,watching movies and word processing.I have had zero problems with any of these activities.The only thing I had to fix was the sound. I did a search and after a few button pushes it was fixed.
    IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN TO.I WAS A KNOPPIX IDIOT A FEW DAYS AGO NOW AFTER READING A FEW BOOKS I'M GOOD TO GO. After my first day trying one person said I should give up.Well, to that person HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW! GOOD LUCK.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: why does my install work while others are not?

    Quote Originally Posted by podo
    IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN TO.I WAS A KNOPPIX IDIOT A FEW DAYS AGO NOW AFTER READING A FEW BOOKS I'M GOOD TO GO. After my first day trying one person said I should give up.Well, to that person HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW! GOOD LUCK.
    podo,

    By your own statement you are still very new to this, and you are not doing a lot with you Knoppix install. You may very well find that when you do try to do more you will hit some of the problems that we warn about, problems that are well known to affect prople who make the choice to force Knoppix onto a hard disk.

    You have not made any statement about trying to install a version of Linux, such as Debian, actually intended for hard disk install. So can we conclude that you are giving the advice to install Knoppix without even trying a real Linux install? Or do you have some benefit that you believe comes from installing Knoppix that isn't acheived by a real Linux install? If you you do I wish you would share it with us.

    Congratulations on having a Knoppix install that you are happy with, at least for now. But this is hardly a good reason to advise others to foillow your path when Debian and other intended for hard disk versions of Linux can be installed cleanly and will gain them all of the benefits of Knoppix without the known problems.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13

    Re: why does my install work while others are not?

    I was just so mad at some people and there dumb comments. Why would you say to someone"you should just give up" after the first hour.I thought linux users would be more helpful and understanding to new users. The hardest part is the first few days and if someone doesn't have the proper encouragement they might get discouraged and give up.
    I think I was helping because its important to learn on your own because you will find no help sometimes in life.
    I have installed other linux systems before.I just installed centOS.I have tons to learn and I will learn on my own. I have fun using knoppix on my harddrive because I really don't need this computer for anything than the normal computer activitys. I have other computers for other things.Mac for video and photos etc.

    Harry what would be your choice for a hardrive install? I was thinking about trying fedora(newest verison).

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: why does my install work while others are not?

    Quote Originally Posted by podo
    Harry what would be your choice for a hardrive install? I was thinking about trying fedora(newest verison).
    I really don't care enough about it to track down the old discussions, but maybe the advice was less of "just give up" and more of "this wasn't really the right thing to do in the first place and there are lots of known problems with it that you are setting yourself up for".

    There is no "right thing" for everyone to install. Some like Fedora. I have not looked at it but did try older Red Had versions and was not impressed, saw no reason to go after Fedora as Red Hat was trying to distance themselves from it. If you like Knoppix then I suggest at least looking at Debian, the distro that Knoppix is based on. I would suggest a Debian Etch (testing) net-install. But I am not saying that this is a better choice for you and your needs, whatever they are, than other Linux distros.

    I will say that I can offer several reasons why it is a better choice than installing Knoppix, and I can't find a single reason to "install" Knoppix instead of Debian.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13
    I picked up a few extra computers and I'm going to install a few and see what I like.I will go with Debian first. I installed knoppix because I was sick of my windows computer getting attacked every day by viruses and wanted a safer computer to use to do basic functions. I think knoppix on my computer now is a heck of a lot better than seeing the blue screen of death every few months.

    UPDATE: I DUMPED KNOPPIX AND INSTALLED FEDORA CORE 5. WOW ITS GREAT.GOODBYE

Similar Threads

  1. Hdd Install won't work.
    By kill_mickey in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 02:14 AM
  2. hdd install of 3.6 does not work
    By tibby in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 02:33 PM
  3. apt-get -f install doesn't work
    By dobell in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 06:51 PM
  4. NIC won't work from HDD install.
    By LLB34B in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 05:45 PM
  5. net doesn't work after hdd install
    By sevengraff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5) picture

128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5)

$2085.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Crucial Micron 8GB (1x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT8G4SFRA32A picture

Crucial Micron 8GB (1x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT8G4SFRA32A

$29.99



Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM picture

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM

$9599.00



Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16) SODIMM 5200Mhz CL44 picture

Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16) SODIMM 5200Mhz CL44

$384.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 DIMM CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 DIMM CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18

$187.99



Major Brand 8 GB PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3 Desktop Memory picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3 Desktop Memory

$14.99