-
Administrator
Site Admin-
ethereal
Any ethereal users out there that can help me? I was just using Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD and ethereal (started by root from a terminal by typing sudo ethereal) and I had a probem that seemed strange. I could run ethereal OK, but I couldn't get it to display the captured packets in real time while it was still capturing. I played with the setting a lot, turned on the options that claimed to do this, restasted capturing, stopped and started capturing and even restarted ethereal, but I couldn't get it to dislay the packets in real time. When I stopped the capture then all of the captured packets were there for me to examine to my hearts content. I noted that this version of ethereal is 0.99.9.
Knowing I have made this work before, I backed up to Knoppix 4.0.2 and tried again. I was very surprised to see that 4.0.2 gave me the same problem. This time the version was 0.10.12.
OK, maybe it's been a while since I ran ethereal from Knoppix (I use the WIndows version sometimes). So I dug out my old CDs and booted Knoppix 3.2. Started ethereal as root. Boy, the user interface sure has evolved since then, but I found the same settings to enable real time capture, display and scrolling and enabled them. Started a capture and this time ethereal displayed packets as they were captured as desired. This version is marked 0.9.12.
So does anyone know why I would be having problems getting ethereal to display packets in real time? I wouldn't be too shocked if this were something that happened only in 0.99.0 but it seems pretty unlikely that it would be a problem that spans versions 0.10.2 to 0.99.0 for such a popular program. Could it be a Knoppix issue (like a choice of display software)? And most importantly, is there anything that I can do to get this handy capability back in the current version of Knoppix?
Similar Threads
-
By Albretch in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-16-2007, 11:16 PM
-
By sonartory in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-23-2007, 05:15 PM
-
By davegibelli in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-11-2007, 10:05 PM
-
By smas in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)
$69.95

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99