Which version of Knoppix are you using?
Do don't need to go through the different versions. Either apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.20 or download the source for 2.4.20 ( linux-2.4.20.tar.nz from kernel.org )
This is a general question about kernel upgrading. Suppose I want to upgrade 2.4.20,do I have to go thru 2.4.3 before going to 2.4.4 or I can go directly to the highest available upgrade kerenel or patch?
Which version of Knoppix are you using?
Do don't need to go through the different versions. Either apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.20 or download the source for 2.4.20 ( linux-2.4.20.tar.nz from kernel.org )
I am not doing any upgrade to my knoppix,still using "poor man's install". I meant this to be a general linux question.
Are kernel upgrades specific to distro? I mean for each distro having different procedures?
Yes, in debian it is apt-get install <new kernel>Originally Posted by bongski55
I take it you want to upgrade a different version of linux i.e. not Debian or Knoppix ?
Not decided yet on any distro. Have to admit I 'might' settle on Knoppix. I find it has the most active forum of all the distros. Evidence is the quick reply to this post.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99