Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Keyboard after boot not working.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Melbourne/Australia
    Posts
    7

    Keyboard after boot not working.

    Hi All,

    I recently tried the latest knoppix (KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso) and cooked a CD so I could run Linux on a machine that has windows (ugh) on its HD at present. It got to the boot prompt and I could type "stuff", but once booted the mouse would not move and no keypresses had any effect (even the numlock key LED).
    Even failsafe mode did not change the behaviour.

    I googled for this problem but didn't turn up any results.

    The machine is powered by an AMD 64 Athlon Dual core. Mouse and keyboard work fine with windows so I don't presume the hardware is faulty, The thing is its PS2 for both so I would have thought this should work out of the box!

    Any advice?

    James.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Yes, it certainly should work. Got any spare keyboards to try? You might want to check you BIOS and see if anything looks like a good canidate to change. I would also try booting in expert mode and taking notes to all of the questions that you answer (at least as long as the keyboar works to answer questions). See the wiki section on cheat codes for other things you might try.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Melbourne/Australia
    Posts
    7
    Well that's the thing.. The keyboard and mouse run through a KVM switch. There are 2 computers connected to the same keyboard and mouse through the KVM switch and I'm typing on _the_ keyboard at the moment on a PC that is running Xandros. The other PC (the one with Windows on the HD that I'm trying to run knoppix on) is where the keyboard isn't working - so I really can't see how it is a keyboard thing, or a KVM problem really.

    I don't have a spare to try but I could plug the keyboard direct into the knoppix PC I guess, that may eliminate the KVM switch.

    I'll look around at the cheat codes and the expert mode. Ta.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Melbourne/Australia
    Posts
    7
    Direct connecting the keyboard didn't help.
    In expert mode I got to loading which scsi modules and the keyboard was not working at that point (but was when I typed expert).

    Will look at the cheat codes.

    JS.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by james_steward
    Direct connecting the keyboard didn't help.
    In expert mode I got to loading which scsi modules and the keyboard was not working at that point
    Even though it does not seem to me like the problem, I would leave the KVM switch out of the puzzle until I knew something. Nothing else in line with the ps2 plugs that you didn't mention, is there, like a digital joystick interface, or 3D Glasses interface, or the good old Cue Cat? Anything drawing power for the ps2 port could very well be the issue.

    No alternate keyboard? Even an old marginal one? Or an alternate mouse, even one with a dirty rubber ball inside?

    If you couldn't answer the scsi question, what was the last question that you did answer and what answer did you take?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Melbourne/Australia
    Posts
    7
    Keyboard and mouse connected straight to the PC in question. There was/is nothing else inline .
    The mouse has no balls - it's optical. It's a USB mouse with a USB to PS/2 converter plug.

    Interestingly in failsafe mode I noticed a message:
    PNP: No PS/2 controller found. Probing ports directly.

    Still no keyboard action.

    The scsi question in expert mode was the first I was presented with.

    I shall steal a keyboard from someone else in a minute and try with that!

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    64
    One question: after the KB and mouse lock up,
    does the clock on the toolbar keep time?
    If not, a new KB or mouse won't help - a full lockup would more
    likely be a 2-cpu issue.
    (BTW I tried a KVM and Cue Cat and USB optical mouse w/o trouble. YMMV.)
    Have you tried Knoppix 4 on this machine?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Melbourne/Australia
    Posts
    7
    I don't think it is a CPU lockup problem - unless by hitting a key locks it up.
    Booted in "normal" mode by pressing enter at the boot prompt gets the expected X running and KDE.
    Before and after key presses the clock is still running.

    I've not tried a Knoppix 4, I've been trying KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso.
    What's the difference? Earlier kernel?

    You don't think it has anything to do with "No PS/2 Controller found."?

    JS.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    64
    since you can type at the boot prompt, the hardware is likely ok.
    I have however once had a ps2 kb with a usb adapter stop responding at the boot prompt after one keypress; this happened only with Knoppix v5.

    you could try typing at boot prompts
    knoppix 2
    reboot
    knoppix 3
    reboot
    knoppix 4
    reboot

    to give more info on when Kb quits. If it does NOT quit,
    then Xorg may be to blame (it is new in Knoppix v5)
    so far Knoppix v5 has had more problems than Knoppix_v4.0.2_(whatever).iso
    I think v5 has a newer version of the kernel. (2.6.17)
    you could try the v4 iso, BUT it tends to lock up on my dual CPU (Xeon)
    under heavy disk I/O load

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Melbourne/Australia
    Posts
    7
    I just downloaded, burned and booted knoppix 4.0.2 and it works fine! (yay).

    So..

    When I booted 5.0.1 in expert mode, before X had run there was no keyboard, so it's something very early on in the kernel IMHO.

    Anything I can do further to narrow the search?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Won't Boot - Minimal Shell - Keyboard Stops Working
    By pkafogie in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
  2. keyboard stops working
    By Daddycat in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 06:19 AM
  3. Wireless mouse and keyboard not working.
    By mmm....beer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 06:17 PM
  4. KEYBOARD AND USB MOUSE NOT WORKING
    By sambosch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 09:36 AM
  5. Mouse And Keyboard Not Working
    By cyber_tim64 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 07:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99