Harry ..
With your help and others I was finally able to get my Presario laptop [windows xp pro - sp2] [router dlink 524 using WEP, Broadcom 4318 in the laptop] working with Knoppix 5.0.1 and FWcutter using the bcmwl5.sys that was in the driver section of the laptop **note: had to set nodma to get live cd to fully work .. [In V4.02 i had to use ndiswrapper and the bcmwl5.sys in the original disks] ...
The only thing now [in fact just posted about this] is that the Wireless connection is running at between 8-11 Mbps rather than then normal 45-54.
Interestingly, in 4.02 the wireless connection ran at the normal 45-54 Mbps.
But, in answer to your initial comments, I found that, the more you read the comments in the forum, the more knowledge you get, [sounds simple doesnt it !] and the easier it gets to get things done .. although I had played with Unix many yrs ago, like a foreign language if you dont use it you lose it ... !
rgds
Wolf