Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 191

Thread: List of Successful Laptops

  1. #101
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    knoppix 3.4 works nice on my Laptop which is HP Pavilion ze5375us. It uses VESA mode(1024X76 for X since my laptop has a Radeon IGP 340M graphics chipset.
    Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller which worked right out of the box.(Mine is a DSL connection)
    Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device works wonderfully well. Far better than the existing Windows XP home installation.
    Soft keys for Num pad, LCD brightness works excellent in 3.4.
    The onboard Wireless LAN(Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset) works well to. Not sure about the onboard Modem which is a ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]

    Overall a very excited Knoppix user. I have recommended that to a number of my friends.
    Good luck.

  2. #102
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55

    HP Pavilion zv5120us

    I took a Knoppix 3.3 CD and a Kanotix Bug Hunter CD down to the local Circuit City on Friday. After deciding which laptop I was interested in (HP Pavilion zv5120us), I convinced the sales associate to let me reboot it with the Knoppix CD in it. Knoppix booted up flawlessly. The sales associate was quite impressed and started asking questions. He even jotted www.knoppix.net down on his hand!

    Long story short, I repartitioned the HD to give WinXP 20G and Linux 20G, did a HD install from the Kanotix CD, and am currently running apt-get upgrade. The only issues I've had so far are:

    1. Sound worked fine when running from the Kanotix CD, but didn't work after the HD install. After about 20 minutes of tweaking, I've got sound working.

    2. X is running at 1024x768. I suspect I'll need to install drivers for the ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ 9000 IGP video card to get the preferred 1280x800 resolution out of it.

    3. Need to be able to play DVD's in the DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive. I haven't investigated this one much.

    I haven't tested the built-in wireless, but the onboard LAN card is working fine.

    Later,

    BR

  3. #103
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10
    Knoppix 3.3 with HD install on a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT100

    Intel P4 2.8
    NIVIDA gforce4 420 Go Sony onboard video card
    512 megs RAM
    SigmaTel Major-C onboard sound card
    Linksys WPC54G Wireless Card
    USB Floppy Drive

    NIVIDA drivers installed for graphics card 1024x768 24 bit color

    ndiswrapper 0.6 installed for WPC54G Linksys Wireless Card

    Sound doesen't work... Still trying to figure that one out. Locks up
    knoppix when sound is played.

    Cheatcodes at startup: noapic nosound

    So far so good.... Love it !!!!!

  4. #104
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2

    Compaq Presario 23170Ca

    ***************************************
    5/10/2004
    HOORAY I have been able to get the latest Knoppix 3.4 running on my Compaq Presario 2170CA using the following:

    linux26 acpi=off noscsi
    I am left with two problems.
    1 - I must use the power button to turn off the machine. ( further reading indicates adding noacpi to the startup line will fix this)
    2 - My USR 5410 wirless network card is not supported. (not a laptop issue but just though I'd mention it.)

    ***************************************

    I have run 3.2 and 3.3 on my Compaq Presario 2170CA.
    It has an AMD Athlon 2200XP running at 1.8Ghz.
    Everything works now however I did have problems as follows.
    Compaq has chosen to encapsulate power management inside the Windows XP supplied with the machine. As a result, when initially running 3.2, my laptop got very hot. This was because the fan speed control was missing and on power-up the fan speed is set to slow or off.
    Compaq was very evasive about the problem until I noticed the same thing happened if I put a blank floppy in and turned the unit on.
    A subsequent email to compaq generated a request to update the bios.
    The updated bios now causes the machine to start with the fan on medium/high speed which is good but now the 3.2 would not boot.
    I then tried 3.3 which did boot almost perfectly. The exception was with the ethernet adapter. It was necessary to restart network support to get it to work whereas previously, it came up during boot.
    The latest version 3.4CT of Knoppix has resolved this issue when the 2.4x kernel is booted.
    The Knoppix26 option (or any 2.6kernel option) does not boot but then this isn't the official release any.

  5. #105
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    45
    Knoppix worked so well from CD that I installed it on the hard drive on my Thinkpad T-22 along with my XP Home Edition. I also installed it to the hard drive on my PC. I boot it from floppy because it was already dual boot running XP and RedHat. I find myself booting from the floppy a lot of the time.

  6. #106
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436

    sony vaio fx601

    sony vaio fx601
    knoppix 3.4
    kernel 2.6.4

    modem worked for kernel 2.5, but stopped working with the new kernel-module-handling (linuxant würg-modem) .
    I stopped investigating on this because I changed to adsl, which was a very easy install!

    Using sound and modem has been problematic with 2.5.0-kernel. Since I seldom use sound I didn't configure it with the new kernel.

    APM and ACPI don't work as expected, but this might be an issue of lazy manual reading.
    On Page 6, a vaio-user claims to use it successful - well I might ask him what he did.

    Due to missing hardware I never tested the firewire-possibilities of this notebook.

    Setting up my printer (canon bjc3000) has always been a problem with linux, since canon doesn't support linux. Together with turboprint it now works fine. (parallel-port and usb).

    My main tasks are running eclipse ( -3.0.0-gtk-M which works fine, and java-1.5.beta (fine too).

    dsl: arcor-dsl-speed-modem 100
    logitech usb-optical-wheel-mouse
    eth0: rtl-8139

    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133 AGP]
    00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 40)
    00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1a)
    00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1a)
    00:07.4 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 40)
    00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
    00:07.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Intel 537 [AC97 Modem] (rev 30)
    00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420
    00:0a.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420
    00:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV26 IEEE-1394 Controller (Link)
    00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)

  7. #107
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by false-hopes
    Realtek WLAN card (Atheros based, I had to do a ton of messing around to get it to work, ended up with the Linuxant Driver Loader because madwifi and NDISwrapper didn't work.)
    .
    I have been able to get Knoppix 3.3 working on a Dell Inspiron 8000, but the wireless card (d-Link) does not work. Is there anywhere I can get a copy of Knoppix with Linuxant Driver Loader? (I don't know how to remaster a cd, linux newbie).

    thanks
    Andrej

  8. #108
    Benq Joybook 8100

    - Runs Knoppix 3.3
    - Runs Knoppix 3.4 (using the cheatcode knoppix acpi=off)

    I still have yet to get my Centrino wireless running with either versions. If anyone is having any better luck, mail me at [email protected]. It would be apprecited.

  9. #109
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1
    Successful CD boot:

    KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN.iso

    Compaq Presario 2100 Series
    1.4G AMD Athlon XP-M
    256M Ram (shared with vga to 192M)
    30G HD, built in floppy, usb, firewire, etc

    With no command line the screen goes blank immeadiately after the initail boot screen.
    To boot properly, use one of the following command lines:

    knoppix acpi=off noscsi
    knoppix26 acpi=off noscsi

    acpi causes initial blank screen/no boot.
    scsi probe must be disabled to avoid is seg faulting.

    KNOPPIX ROCKS!

    James

  10. #110
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    Working setup
    IBM ThinkPad R40 2897 - Pentium M 1.4 GHz - RAM 256 MB - HD 20 GB - CD-RW / DVD - Mdm - LAN EN, Fast EN, 802.11b - 14.1" TFT

    It has the builtin centrino 802.11b wireless. It worked perfectly. All I had to do to get it to work was type in
    Code:
    iwconfing eth0 essid "myessid"
    and then run the network card configuration

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix sources.list repository incomplete list.
    By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
  2. ACPI it's not just for laptops.
    By rickenbacherus in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 11:24 PM
  3. Successful install
    By HaroldK in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 09:17 PM
  4. Anybody been successful formatting w/ xfs?
    By rickenbacherus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 08:18 AM
  5. What Laptops run Knoppix?
    By mithrill in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$16.41



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



Brocade ICX6450-24 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch W/ Ears picture

Brocade ICX6450-24 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch W/ Ears

$74.99