Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Searching for CD: then dropped in shell!

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by scone
    i haven't had any other problems (that i know of) from doing a fast burn.
    (does knoppix need more precision)
    I think the key here is that you don't have problems that you know of. There is an amazing amount of redundant error correction data on a CD (so much so that if you burn the disk in a mode that lets you store data rather than error correction information, you can get 800 megs on a 700 meg CD with no compression). Normally this error correction process can hide a poor burn from you, but at a cost - slower acces due to the need to do lots of error recovery.

    I didn't want to believe that if I bought a brand name drive that said it could burn at 48x or 52x that burns at those speeds were not as good as lower speeds burns. It took me years to convince myself of it (and by that time I had a lot of discs that I sure wish I had burnt at lower speeds). And if you ever burn VCD or SVCD video discs this can really show up, since these use modes that indeed throw away the error correction to squeeze that extra 100 meg of information on a CD. The problem with doing this with a Video CD may seem minor, it might show up as an mpeg encoding error on playback, some oddly colored oversized pixels that suddenly show up on the screen, then are gone in a few frames when the next full frame of data comes up. But it can be annoying.

    I don't know just why Knoppix has so much trouble with it. Maybe it needs parts of the system loaded before it can help with the error correction (I don't know how much is at the hardware level in the drive, but it seems from booting poorly burned copies of Knoppix that the hardware doesn't correct everything). And even when Knoppix can boot a poorly made disk, there can be speed problems that the user isn't even aware of becaise of massive error correction going on.

    See these links if you want to see some more discusion in this forum about this issue if you think it's cool:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=78583#78583
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17788
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17064

    I now burn all of my CDs at 4x on systems that will do 4x, I settle for 8x on one burner/software combo where 4x is not offered. I burn all DVDs at 4x. This is not just Knoppix or bootable CDs, it is all discs; my data is too impotant to me use high speed burns. And if I'm going to allocate 100 megs of the disc for error correction information, I want that error correction to be available as the disc ages or if it gets a small scratch; I don't want to be using lots of it now and not have the safety of it later to fall back on when I go to read an older disc.

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    59
    Photochemical reactions mixed with digital devices might not be the best way to store and then use data.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3
    Does anyone know why I cant get my wireless card and button on my laptop working in knoppix 5.01?

  4. #14
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bster
    Does anyone know why I cant get my wireless card and button on my laptop working in knoppix 5.01?
    Perhaps because you post your question in a thread on a different topic rather than starting a thread on that topic.

    Perhaps because you want help, but you don't hive any information about your hardware.

    Perhaps because you might be using version 5.0.1, which seems to have backpeddeled a lot in wireless support.

    Perhaps because you hardware vendor has provided a special software/harware interface to process that button's input and enable or disable the wifi NIC, but only provided Windows drivers for it and given the Linux community no way to support it.

    .
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. searching '386 or 32 bit ISO image
    By 77yrold in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 10:49 PM
  2. Dropped Laptop, Need Help Recovering Data
    By Lilbaby in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 01:26 PM
  3. searching klik ?
    By cintra in forum Klik
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 02:20 PM
  4. Network connection is dropped?
    By brianfay in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
  5. Been searching for ages
    By deadsoul in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-10-2003, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari 400 Computer System  console with Power Supply TESTED and Working picture

Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working

$150.00