Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Searching for CD: then dropped in shell!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3

    Searching for CD: then dropped in shell!

    I am trying to use Knoppix to access an old laptop drive that has Windows user accounts that are protected by Windows XP.

    I burned my CD from an ISO download. It pops up fine, I hit enter it finds USB/firewire devices, enables DMA acceleration for hda and hdc. Then it says "Looking for CD in: /dev/hdc" for a long time.... it seems to freeze.

    I get an error message: "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell."

    I have a HP Pavillion dv5000 laptop. This is Knoppix 5.0.1.

    Suggestions?


  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    The most common source of this problem is a burn done at high speed. Other issues could include a media defect, or a hardware detection issue, the most likely one being the DMA setting. . So, if the burn was done at low speed, I would suggest trying the knoppix nodma cheat code.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3
    Wen do i enter the cheat code? Wen the first screen pops up with prompt at "Knoppix: "? Or some other time? Sorry to sound like an idiot. I am.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3
    For the next idiot. On the first screen at "boot:" I typed "knoppix nodma" and hit return. It booted up fine. THANKS!!!

    Tex

    P.S. It was a fast 10x burn...

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by textriallaw
    P.S. It was a fast 10x burn...
    We see the most problems from the 48x or 52x CD burns, or any DVD burnt over 4x. But I would suggest the slowest speed that your burner will do or 4x, it's well worth the few extra minutes.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3
    i am experiencing the same problem with my hp zv6000 laptop. it loads fine with failsafe but i have not been able to load my wireless card that way.. have you had the same problem? i am going to try the cheat and i hope it works [i believe my dvd was also burned at high speed] will post after trying the nodma cheat.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    Testriallaw,
    I have the exact same computer, but I used the apsci=off (I think) cheat to get it to boot, and I am unable to use my built in wireless network, also I can't use a linksys card that I've put in. Does your network work? How did you get it to? If not, any ideas?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    One more not about the wireless on the dv5000, it has a button above the keyboard that enabled/disabled the card. When booted into windows media center, it has a blue indicator light that is on, indicating that the wlan is active. When booting into knoppix, I can't get that button to work, and that status light is always off. I don't know if this is strictly a windows function and means nothing in knoppix, or if it's some kind of hard break that needs to be turned on somehow.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3
    I am having the exact same problem, my wireless button isn't working either and i cant get my wireless card to work on knoppix. the cheats NODMA and Faisafe load linux perfectly but i still cant use the internet and ive tried using netcardconfig and wlcardconfig to set it up but cant seem to do it right. can someone help? thanks.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2
    had the same problem...

    currently trying the slow burn (4x)

    i burned (2 copies! rr i'm dumb) on my 52x (ultra speed! rawr!) lite-on

    is there a reason (besides the obvious) why the fast burn doesnt work too well?

    i haven't had any other problems (that i know of) from doing a fast burn.

    is there an encoding change or something past a certain speed? or is it just less precise? (does knoppix need more precision)

    this is a cool issue. i think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. searching '386 or 32 bit ISO image
    By 77yrold in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 10:49 PM
  2. Dropped Laptop, Need Help Recovering Data
    By Lilbaby in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 01:26 PM
  3. searching klik ?
    By cintra in forum Klik
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 02:20 PM
  4. Network connection is dropped?
    By brianfay in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
  5. Been searching for ages
    By deadsoul in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-10-2003, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS* picture

Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS*

$70.00



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Berkeley Softworks geoMouse Commodore 64 128 C64 C128 GEOS Mouse DB9 Vintage picture

Berkeley Softworks geoMouse Commodore 64 128 C64 C128 GEOS Mouse DB9 Vintage

$59.99



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Commodore Plus4 Computer CBM 264 Original Box Not Working Repair or Part G2U picture

Commodore Plus4 Computer CBM 264 Original Box Not Working Repair or Part G2U

$99.99



Commodore 64 Drive Alignment & Utility Diskette picture

Commodore 64 Drive Alignment & Utility Diskette

$9.99