Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Installing a printer under Knoppix 3.9

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    Installing a printer under Knoppix 3.9

    Hello everyone,

    I am a new Linux user and I am testing the above Knoppix 3.9 with Kernel 2.6.11 and KDE 3.4.

    I cannot install any printer (e.g. HP Deskjet 670C) as I keep getting failure messages.

    If I go: Control center --> Peripherals --> Printers
    I get:
    "Initializing manager"
    --> "Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
    Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused."

    When I do: Add --> Add printer/class
    I get:
    "An error occurred while retrieving the list of available backends:
    Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running."

    --> Add printer wizard --> Bachkend selection --> all text white, no radio button available.

    When I do: Print server --> Restart server
    I get
    "Unable to restart print server. Error message received from manager:
    Unable to find a running CUPS server"

    When I do: Print server --> Configure server
    I get
    "Unable to configure print server. Error message received from manager:
    Unable to retrieve configuration file from the CUPS server. You probably don't have the access permissions to perform this operation."


    Has anybody any solution for me?

    Best regards

    Ludovic

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    93
    Open a console and type sudo cupsd and press enter. Then try adding a printer from the control center. If doing this from a root shell just type cupsd.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing HP Printer drivers in V5.0.1
    By rph111745 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 05:19 AM
  2. Problem in installing printer
    By satimis in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 11:39 AM
  3. Installing my Printer
    By djtwok in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 06:21 PM
  4. Printer issues CUPS/Printer Server/OptraE+
    By rec9140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 05:24 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



B85M-G Motherboard Intel Core i7-4770 CPU LGA1150 mATX 4 DIMM IO Shield picture

B85M-G Motherboard Intel Core i7-4770 CPU LGA1150 mATX 4 DIMM IO Shield

$75.96