Those of you that wish to install 5.01 and cannot create a root password might be interested in this procedure. I installed the default "debian-like" distribution. No matter how hard I tried, I could not create a root password because I was not listed in the "sudoers" file. I could not edit the file with "visudo" because I wasn't root. Catch 22. I guess I could have hacked the "/etc/shadow" file, but that is beyond me.
When you do the install, do not pick the default "debian installation", but the one below it, the "beginner install". Everything is normal then.
Art

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$70.00
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00
Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance
$29.99
Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card
$26.21