Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 5.0.1 Wireless Very Slow

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    14

    5.0.1 Wireless Very Slow

    Hi ..
    Got my Laptop [HP Presario ze2000] up and running under 5.0.1 and the broadcom card working using FWCutter finally ...
    But now the problem seems to be that the wireless connection is only running at around 8-10 mbps rather than the usual 45-54 under Windows ??? .. Hence it takes almost forever to get anything done on the internet .. when I 'ping' the router it takes approz 30-40 ms to get an echo and even longer to get an echo from other systems on my network
    The Router is a Dlink 524 and the Wireless card is the Broadcom 4318 ..
    If I boot up in 4.02 and use Ndiswrapper to setup Wireless the speed seems to be in the normal 45-54 Mbps ...[ note: I could not get the Wireless to work in 5.0.1 using Ndiswrapper ]
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    thanks in advance
    Wolf

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: 5.0.1 Wireless Very Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by greywolf19
    ... But now the problem seems to be that the wireless connection is only running at around 8-10 mbps rather than the usual 45-54 under Windows ??? .. Hence it takes almost forever to get anything done on the internet ..
    That's an interesting observation. It sounds like your connection is running at 802.11b speeds and not 802.11g speeds. I'm not real surprised about that since 802.11g is veryly poorly supported in Linux at the moment; I find it more interesting that Knoppix can support your 802.11g hardware at all. But I have to wonder what speed your internet connection is. My DSL connection is 1.5Mb/s. I do have a friend with 3Mb/s DSL and other friends with up to 5Mb/s cable. but in all of those cases I would expect the connection to the ISP to be the the botleneck, not an 11Mb/s conection.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    14
    Harry ..
    As always thanks for the quick response ... yes I would agree that it appears that in 5.0 it is working as a 'b' and not a 'g' BUT in 4.02 it runs like a 'G' !! ... by the way Hardwire out of the router is running at 100Mbps + so I dont think that is where the bottle neck is ..

    some friends have suggested ...
    1. alias net-pf-10 off and alias ipV6 off
    or
    2. # config_ieee80211_softmac is not set

    But, it still seems strange that Ver 5 is forcing the chip into a 'b' mode ...
    I have not tried the above suggestions ... [as yet] and I think I have to do some more looking around ... what do you think

    rgds
    wolf

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by greywolf19
    ... by the way Hardwire out of the router is running at 100Mbps + so I dont think that is where the bottle neck is ..
    I find it interesting that version 4 worked in G mode for you, but as you know I can't get 5 to work at all for me, even on "b" hardware that has worked since about 3.7. But as to the bottleneck, I'm not sure what you are saying. If your connection to the Internet is 100Mbs+ then the wireless would certainly be the bottleneck, particularly if it is running at 11Mbs. And I know 802.11b is a bottlenect here when I connect to other local computers (even more so since I deliberately limit it's speed further to try to get a better connection). But your post was talking about a connect to the Internet, not a local speed issue. I envy you your high speed pipe, if that's what you have.

    Quote Originally Posted by greywolf19
    ... I have not tried the above suggestions ... [as yet] and I think I have to do some more looking around ... what do you think
    Well, until I can get wireless working at all in Knoppix 5.0.1, I'm certainly not the one to give advice. And to be honest it's more of an academic issue to me than a pratical one; I didn't want to be limited by wireless speeds on my local network so I ran CAT5 to the room where I usually use my laptop. But so far no luck with Knoppix 5. I do wish someone who has had some luck with the 5.0.1 tools would post a detailed list of the steps that they ran through to get their system up (perhaps in the Wireless Networking section of the wiki) so that I could run it against the steps that I used on the new tool in 5.0.1 and see if I missed anything or did anything wrong, but I'm getting nowhere with this version of Knoppix on my equipment on my own.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    14
    Harry ..

    within the next day or so I will try to codify all the steps [and maybe missteps] I took to arrive at a slow but working v5.0.1 wireless setup .. by the way the other computers on my network [running windows] regularly get 54 Mbps .. The 100 Mbps is on my hard wired desk top.

    rgds
    bob

Similar Threads

  1. Slow speeds
    By pirateclem in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
  2. CPU Fan Slow down on boot!
    By whiteyn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM
  3. Extremely Slow
    By Shing in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 08:03 AM
  4. why is the internet so slow?
    By RobC in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 04:16 PM
  5. Please Help Me Its SLOW!
    By CaffeineGamer in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive picture

Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive

$24.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$42.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00